Paid Sick Leave for Student Employees and University Assistants

The University provides paid sick leave for hourly Student Workers and University Assistants (UAs) under Public Act 11-52.

Under the law Student Workers/UAs will accrue one (1) hour of paid sick time for every forty (40) hours worked and can utilize a maximum of 40 hours per calendar year. Student Workers/UAs may use paid sick leave upon the completion of their 680th work hour with the University. If a Student Worker is being funded under the Federal Work Study Program the cost of the sick time will be charged to the applicable Departmental Budget rather than the Work Study Program.

Student Workers and UAs are eligible to take the following sick leave:

  • SICK - To treat the Student Worker's/UA's own illness, injury or health condition (including preventative care).
  • SP - Medical/Dental appointments.
  • SFAM - To treat the Student Worker's/UA's child or spouse's illness, injury or health condition.
  • Sick leave may only be used in 1 hour increments.
  • Absences of 3 or more consecutive work days will require a Medical Certificate, which must be submitted to Human Resources to the attention of Rachel Veilleux. The Student Worker and University Assistant Medical Certificate are located at the website noted above. If the Medical Certificate is not submitted within 3 business days upon conclusion of the pay period, the sick days will be deleted from the timesheet and not paid.

The total amount of available accrued sick leave is listed in the balances section on the bottom of your timesheet.

Frequently Asked Questions regarding the accrual and usage of sick time for Student Workers/UAs.

A request for further information or questions may be directed to Rachel Veilleux in person or by telephone:

Davidson Hall, Room 201
1615 Stanley Street
New Britain, CT 06050

Phone: 860.832.1769
Fax: 959.255.8790
Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Rev. 05/17/2021