Why The Learning Center?
Because everyone needs a little TLC!
Whether you are a first year student or a senior, we are committed to your academic success!
Our mission is to provide high quality, individualized academic assistance for the students of Central Connecticut State University, so that they may reach their maximum academic potential.
The CCSU Learning Center is engaged in innovative approaches to academic support that underscore our belief that every student has the potential to be independent and successful learners. The Learning Center values collaboration and works with many departments in both Academic Affairs and Student Affairs.
History of TLC The Learning Center was established as a distinct department in January 1999. Academic support services were previously available through the Educational Support Services Department which also housed the Educational Opportunity Program (EOP), the Connecticut Collegiate Awareness and Preparation Program (CONNCAP), and the Upward Bound Program. In the summer of 1999, The Learning Center moved to Copernicus Hall. The Learning Center was moved from the Division of Student Affairs to the Division of Academic Affairs in August 2007. Most recently, The Learning Center was moved to Willard Hall in Spring 2011.
Where are we located?
The Learning Center is located in Willard-DiLoreto Hall, Room D 316
Our space offers a drop-in tutor center, the Academic Coaching Office, and a placement testing lab.
What do we do at The Learning Center?
We offer a variety of academic support services for all types of students from academic coaching to drop-in tutoring. The Learning Center currently provides the following services:
- Academic coaching
- Tutoring in mathematics, statistics, and psychology through the Tutor Lab
- Placement test coordination and delivery
- Academic interventions for students on academic probation
- Classroom presentations on learning strategies
- Early Alert Program administration
- E-tutoring (online subject matter tutoring)
- Study skills workshops
Why Do Students Come to TLC?
Students come to The Learning Center to:
- Work with an academic coach to find new ways to improve their academics
- Get tutoring for a math, statistics, or psychology course
- Take a placement exam
- Learn how to study smarter, read more efficiently, take better notes, or use those notes to effectively prepare for exams
- Acquire helpful learning strategies by attending a study skills workshops
- Find academic support when struggling in a course
- Learn how to transition to college level academics as a first-time freshman or transfer student
- Complete an mandatory intervention for academic probation
- Set academic goals and find ways to stay motivated and on track
- Get organized and learn time management strategies
- Figure out ways to increase their grade point average (GPA)
- Learn effective test-taking strategies to overcome test-anxiety
- Use the math lab as a good place to study and do math or stats homework
- Learn more about E-Tutoring or Online Success Coaching
- Pick up a Semester-At-A-Glance to plan a successful semester!
Who are we?
The Learning Center is staffed by a mix of undergraduate students, graduate students, and professionals. You will have the opportunity to work with your peers who are trained tutors and peer academic coaches as well as with trained graduate student academic coaches. To learn more about who we are, check out our staff directory!