Visa Interview Information

A student can apply for J-1 visa 120 days before the program start to allow for visa processing and security clearance delay. DS-2019 Form will be issued to students who have been fully admitted to CCSU. Please contact International Student and Scholar Services immediately if any information on your DS-2019 is incorrect.

Make sure you have a valid passport

Pay your SEVIS fee either by phone, by mail or online at and print a SEVIS fee receipt for your record. The fee must be paid at least three business days before your appointment at the U.S. Embassy.

  • Your SEVIS ID number (N00XXXXXXXX) is located in the upper right corner of your DS-2019;
  • CCSU’s Exchange Visitor’s Program Code is on page 1, Item #2.

J-2 dependents do not need to pay the SEVIS fee. Canadians Citizens are exempted from processing a visa to enter the United States, but still need to pay the SEVIS fee.

If Your Visa Application is Approved

If your visa is approved, you are ready to travel to the United States to start school. Immigration regulations state that you should arrive in the United States within 30 days of the program start date in Section 3 of your DS-2019.

If your visa application is denied, please refer to the United States Department of State's Website - Visa Denial. Central Connecticut State University cannot influence visa decisions made by U.S. Consular officials abroad.

NOTE: All individuals intending to be students at CCSU must enter the United States in J-1 student status. Entering on a B1/B2 visitor’s visa with the intention of attending school in the United States full-time is ‘unlawful'."

  • A Passport valid for the next six months
  • A current DS-2019 Form (signed by you, item #8)
  • CCSU Letter of Admission
  • Completed Visa Applications (DS-156, DS-158, and, if applicable, DS-157).
  • One passport size photograph in the prescribed format.
  • Visa Application Fee
  • A Receipt of your SEVIS Fee Payment
  • Affidavit of Support

Schedule an Appointment at your local U.S. Consulate/Embassy. A list of Consulates and Embassies can be found at