H-1B Temporary Workers

H-1B temporary workers are professionals in specialty occupations who are allowed to work in the United States for a maximum period of six years. While in H-1B status, the employee cannot accept compensation from another employer unless a petition has been processed on his/her behalf by that employer.

The Center for International Education prepares H-1B petitions on behalf of the University when the University has hired a foreign worker into a position that qualifies for H-1B status/sponsorship. Attorneys cannot petition for H-1B status on behalf of Central faculty and staff. The maximum time period permitted in H-1B status for any employee is six (6) years.

There are two steps involved in applying for initial H-1B Status or an extension of H-1B, and step one has to be processed and approved by the U.S. Department of Labor before the Center for International Education (CIE) can proceed with step two.

  1. The initial step involves applying for Labor Condition Certification through the U.S. Department of Labor (process takes about ten business days)
  2. The second step entails applying for H-1B status through the Department of Homeland Security (process takes about 3 - 4 months)

No application will be processed without the “Deemed Export Control” form completed in its entirety.