Evaluation of Syncope in the Athlete
- Discuss the common etiologies of exercise related syncope
- Distinguish arrhythmias and vasovagal syndrome
Saving Athletes’ Hearts: Screening Plus More
- List 3 problems with mandatory use of ECGs in screening athletes.
- Identify one strategy for saving athletes’ hearts that has nearly universal acceptance.
- Give the range for the incidence of sudden cardiac death in young athletes.
DVT and PE in the Athlete: The Hidden Danger
- Differentiate DVT’s and PE’s
- Recognize the risk factors for DVT/PE
- Recognize the common signs and symptoms of DVT and PE
- Understand training room and on-field initial management
- Understand long term complications of diagnosis and treatment of DVT/PE in athletes
Soft Tissue Mobilization Techniques: Clinical Reasoning for Graston and Dry Needling
- Interrelate the use of dry needling and Graston with tendinopathies
- Discuss how dry needling and Graston may be incorporated into the rehabilitation of musculoskeletal injuries.
Shoulder Acronyms Explained
- Discuss shoulder acronyms and identify the mechanism for why they occur
- Describe the surgical and non-surgical approaches for return to play.
Fatigue and the Risk for Non-Contact ACL Injury: A Five-Year Experience
- Identify at-risk postures for noncontact ACL injuries
- Identify tests that can be used to assess noncontact ACL injury at-risk postures
- Discuss our current knowledge of the effects of fatigue on non-contact ACL injury at-risk postures
- Discuss the effects of short term vs. long term fatigue on the knee
- Discuss the implications of current research in fatigue on training of athlete
Sleep, Sports Performance and Injuries
- Understand the normal sleep requirements across the lifespan
- Understand the effects of sleep deprivation on performance in general and in sports specifically
- Gain the ability to advise athletes on how to optimize sleep for performance and reduce injury
Suicide Prevention within the Athletic Community
- Exploring gate keeper training in suicide prevention
- Identifying suicide vulnerability among athletes
Opioid Use and the Potential for Misuse in Athletics
- Provide a general overview of opioids, their mechanism of action, and physiologic effects
- Review the relevant terminology, signs and symptoms related to opioid misuse
- Discuss recent implications of opioid abuse and current recommendations for prevention
- Discuss the role of opioids and the potential for misuse in the athlete