At the discretion of the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs, an undergraduate student whose enrollment at CCSU has been interrupted for 2 or more years and whose GPA is below a 2.0 may be considered for admission under the Fresh Start Policy. Under this option, the Office of the Registrar initiates a new GPA for the returning student at the time of re-entry and uses this new figure for graduation purposes. The Fresh Start admission option is available to undergraduate students who were formerly matriculated at the university and who attempted no more than 60 credits. It is also available to non-matriculated undergraduate students who attempted no more than 30 credits at CCSU.
Each case is decided on its own merits, and each decision has advantages and disadvantages. Students returning to the University for full or part-time study after a long interval should consult the Office of Admissions.
Guidelines for the Fresh Start Policy
- At least 2 academic years shall have intervened between the exit from and re-entry to CCSU;
- A formerly matriculated undergraduate student shall have attempted no more than 60 credits at CCSU;
- A non-matriculated undergraduate student shall have attempted no more than 30 credits at CCSU;
- The student’s academic record will be treated like the record of a transfer student.
- During the first semester back at CCSU, the student shall be restricted to 16 credits or fewer;
- Graduation requirements shall be those listed in the catalog at the time of re-entry; and
- The Fresh Start option can be used only once.
- A counselor will make Fresh Start option available to the student after review of their academic record and the counselor feels the Fresh Start option is warranted.
- A Fresh Start request form must be signed and dated by the student in the presence of an Admissions Counselor. Download the Form
- A student who wishes to participate in the Fresh Start program must submit to the Admissions Counselor a formal letter asking permission to participate. The letter should include:
- Summary of events supporting the academic record during the student’s previous attendance at CCSU. Any supporting documents outlining the unusual circumstances (personal, emotional, medical, financial) should be included.
- Any transcripts from other colleges or recommendation letters from employers that support the student’s development and successes from the time the student departed from CCSU.
- A statement of the projected benefits if allowed back into the University under provisions of the Fresh Start Program.
- Upon receipt of the requested information, the Admissions Counselor will forward their recommendation (positive or negative) as well as all supporting documents to the Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs for consideration.
- Once the Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs has made a decision, the Admissions Counselor is notified and will proceed with the application process to notify the student of the University’s decision. If the Fresh Start option has been approved; accept the student by writing “Accepted under Fresh Start” on the application. If the Fresh Start option has been denied, the student should be advised to take classes as a non-matriculated student to bring up his/her GPA and reapply. Students who apply for the Fresh Start program are almost always granted the opportunity to start over.