Global Health and Safety

Prioritizing Health and Safety During Study Abroad

Studying abroad offers exciting experiences, but it's crucial to stay safe and healthy. Research local customs, pack essential medications, wear appropriate attire, and stay vigilant about your surroundings. Taking preventive measures ensures a safe and enjoyable study abroad experience. This webpage covers important health and safety tips.

CISI Insurance

Central Connecticut State University partners with Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) to provide students with comprehensive international health insurance and security coverage while abroad. This plan complements existing health insurance and covers healthcare and security expenses during travel outside the United States.

All Central students studying abroad are automatically covered under the current CISI Insurance Policy, receiving an identification card before departure. Contact CISI for routine health inquiries, direct billing with healthcare providers, and appointment scheduling to avoid upfront payments and waiting for reimbursements.

In case of a medical emergency, seek immediate attention and contact CISI's emergency assistance service. CISI will monitor and provide necessary care options. Emergency assistance: (855) 327-1411 (U.S.), (312) 935-1703 (collect call from outside U.S.), or email MEDASSIST-USA@AXA-ASSISTANCE.US with Team Assist ID from the insurance card. For reimbursement claims, contact CISI via provided phone numbers or email.

CISI has partnered with healthcare practitioners worldwide, and participants can find preferred physicians on the CISI website. Schedule appointments directly or through CISI. Direct billing arrangements can be made in advance. This partnership ensures the well-being and safety of Central faculty and students during their international experiences

Central Health Services

At Central Connecticut State University, Health Services is located at Willard-DiLoreto Hall, W101. The mission is to provide high-quality, accessible, and compassionate health care services to our diverse student population. 

More information on Central's Health Services

Central Counseling and Student Development

It is important to note that Central provides counseling services to students, also is located at Willard-DiLoreto Hall, W101. The Counseling and Student Development provides mental health counseling and a wide range of student development services designed to support academic success, as well as help students resolve emotional, inter-personal, behavioral, and other personal challenges. In addition, we offer services and programs intended to promote mental health, while helping students acquire the skills and resources needed.  For any mental stress caused by home-sickness, academic pressures, or you are generally struggling to adjust to living in a foreign place, please visit Central’s Counseling and Student Development or call (860) 832-1926 for an appointment.

Student Disability Services

To provide an accessible campus environment for all students, CCSU provides Student Disability Services, which is located at Willard-DiLoreto Hall, W201. According to the law, individuals with mental or physical impairments that affect their ability to engage in major life activities are entitled to reasonable accommodations (as per the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973). We encourage you to explore the information on the website and reach out to  if you have any questions or concerns about disability for study abroad.

Office for Equity and Inclusion

For victims of sexual assault, harassment, violence, or stalking, Central's Office of Equity and Inclusion is located at Lawrence J. Davidson Hall 119.Title IX rights offer support and protection. Contact campus police (860-832-2375) or Central Connecticut State University’s Office of Victim Advocacy (860-832-3796) for assistance and empowerment. Refer to this link on how to make a Title IX report. a link on how to make a Title IX report.

Medications and Prescriptions 

We advise you to bring an adequate supply of your prescribed medication in your carry-on luggage rather than checked baggage, to prevent loss during transit. Keep medication in original packaging with the label intact, and consider bringing a copy of the prescription from your physician. Seek advice from a medical professional before using medication in a foreign country, as regulations may differ. Research the country's medical laws to ensure your medication is not prohibited, as not all medications legal in the U.S. are legal in other countries.

Sexual Health

It is essential to consider and respect local cultural norms and behavior regarding sexual health.
It is crucial to be aware that behaviors that are culturally and legally acceptable and safe in one's home country may not be so in the host country and vice versa, especially for LGBTQIA+ travelers.

Visit the Center of Disease Control’s page on Sexual Health for more information.

Travel Advisories

Please visit the U.S. Department of State travel advisory website to view the most updated information on the precautions necessary for each country. Each country is assigned a level of safety based on current issues regarding anything political, social, economic, cultural, public health, or natural-disaster related. Central’s policy supports study abroad to level 1 and 2 destinations.

STEP Program

If you are a U.S. citizen, we strongly recommend that you enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, a free service of the U.S. Department of State. You can receive important information from your local U.S. Embassy abroad about safety conditions in your destination country, helping you make informed decisions about your travel plans. STEP also allows the U.S. Embassy to help contact you in an emergency, whether natural disaster, civil unrest, or family emergency.