Incoming Exchange Students

Welcome, Incoming Exchange Students!

Central Connecticut State University has partnered with many universities worldwide. Undergraduate and Graduate students can study at Central for one semester or one academic year through these partnerships. To participate in the exchange program, please confirm that your home university is currently a partner with Central for exchange. Prospective incoming exchange students must be officially nominated by your home university before the admissions process.

If your home university is NOT currently a partner with Central, please visit the International Student Admissions.

Admissions Process

This information is ONLY for international students from Partner Universities who intend to study at Central Connecticut State University for a semester or an academic year. Please check all the required documents here.

If admitted, an exchange student will receive an acceptance letter, DS 2019 Form, and a link to the Pre-Arrival Booklet with important pre-arrival information from Central and the Center for International Education. From here, students can begin the J1 student visa application process.

For students interested in the Intensive English Language Program, please click here to find out more.

How to Choose Courses at Central

Courses numbered 099-199 are introductory courses, usually with no pre-requisites, primarily for first- or second-year university students. Courses numbered 200-299 usually have one pre-requisite and are primarily for second-year students. Courses numbered 300-399 are advanced undergraduate courses primarily for third- or fourth-year students. Courses numbered 400-499 are advanced undergraduate courses primarily for fourth-year undergraduate students. Courses at the 500 level or higher are intended for graduate students only and are generally not available to undergraduate exchange students.

For each student's first semester at Central, CIE registers the courses selected. If students are staying for the full year, then they register for their own courses for the following semester. To view the courses being offered, students can check out the Course Description Directory. Undergraduate and graduate students should take a minimum of 12 and 9 credits per semester, respectively.

Students must complete the course registration form to register for classes.

Course Syllabi

Only the faculty members themselves have syllabi and usually hand them out on the first day of class. If students would like to see course details ahead of time, they may contact the professor directly for syllabi. However, some professors might not have the final version of the syllabi until classes start.

On-Campus Housing Application

If you are planning to live on campus, you need to complete an application form for housing. Students should fill out this form and submit it directly to CIE. If you are planning to live off-campus, you don’t need to submit this form. All forms should be sent to the Center for International education via email, mail, or fax.

Meal Plans

You can choose your resident meal plans. Meal plans are loaded directly onto your student ID. Meal swipes are for use at all you care to eat style, Residence Dining Hall. Flex dollars are specifically used for purchases at any of our on-campus dining locations, including Devil's Den and Starbucks, where meal swipes are not accepted. Blue Chip dollars are a campus currency accepted at all on-campus dining locations as well as elsewhere off-campus. For more information, please click on  Dining Services.

All students living on campus must have a resident meal plan.

Flex Dollars

Flex Dollars are Tax-Exempt funds that are loaded onto your Central ID Card and used only at Central Retail Dining locations, such as Devil's Den Food Court and Starbucks. Flex Dollars are added at the beginning of every semester and cannot be re-loaded before the next semester. Flex Dollars expire at the end of each semester and do not roll over from Fall to Spring semester.

Blue Chip Dollars

Blue Chip is the Central campus currency and is accepted as cash or credit at all on-campus dining locations as well as elsewhere on and off campus. For more information, please check Card Office.

Nearby Airports

Central has multiple airports within a 2-hour radius. Students can choose which one to fly into, but it is their responsibility to have transportation from the airport to campus/housing. The airports listed below are a few recommended options, but not the only ones.

CT Airport (30 minutes away)- Bradley International Airport

Out of State Airports (2 hours away)- John F. Kennedy International Airport, LaGuardia International Airport, Newark Liberty International Airport, Logan International Airport

Campus Life Organizations

Student Center

  • Student Center is the living room of the campus
  • Students only need a Blue-Chip Card to participate in events and partake in Student Center services such as borrowing a car jump box, sending a fax, printing a paper and more.
  • With their Blue-Chip Card, students can play various games or participate in tournaments that are sponsored by the Esports Center and Breakers Game Room. Esports offers electronic gaming while Breakers offers billiards, darts, ping pong, football, air hockey, board games and video games.
  • Student Center is home to

Student Wellness Support

  • Health- Students Wellness Services provides routine medical care by appointment or walk-in. Services include immunizations, contraceptive counseling management, and allergy shot clinic.
  • Counseling- Students are provided with “services and programs that enhance psychological, emotional, social, and spiritual well-being.”
  • Wellness Education- The mission of Wellness Education is to “work collaboratively with students to enhance wellness capacity for students’ optimal academic success...”
  • Student Disability Services- SDS provides services and support for students with disabilities.
  • Campus Faith Consultants - Campus faith consultants are available for personal counseling, participation in discussion, as well as a variety of social, spiritual, and educational programs.
  • Office of Equity & Inclusion - the Office for Equity & Inclusion (OEI) aims to cultivate a campus environment that is equitable, inclusive, and responsible to enable students, faculty, and staff to achieve their full potential. OEI works with faculty, staff, and students to develop and maintain a community of inclusion. The team of OEI acts in a transparent manner guided by respect and prompt practices. In addition, the office also provides training and support on diversity, Title IX, and sexual harassment prevention.
  • Women’s Center- The Ruthe Boyea Women's Center exists to provide resources, to advocate, to inform, and to support personal development.


  • Library Resources
  • Get help with research on the 3rd floor of the library, and find the quiet study area on the 4th floor

Writing Center

  • Get assistance with paper organization, proper citation methods, editing, etc.
  • Appointments are 30 minutes each, book here

Learning Center

  • Get help with placement testing and academic services here

Computer Lab

(Student Technology Center)

  • Over 250 computers for students to use
  • Wireless printing and scanning, printing paid via BlueChip

Campus Recreation Center

Campus Recreation Center provides wellness and healthy life-style oriented programs, events, and services to students, faculty, and staff through our program areas, including Fitness, Recreation, Intramurals, and Sport Clubs.

On-Campus Employment for J-1 Students

Students in J-1 status can work 20 hours a week when school is in session and 40 hours during vacations (summer and winter break). On-campus job openings are available at the Career Development Office.

Students in J-1 visa status must submit Exchange Student Employment Form to the Center for International Education before starting work. This information is required by USCIS.