Your OPT application and all of the required documentation must be sent to the USCIS Service Center Lockbox facility. You must mail the application within 30 days of the date the I-20 recommending OPT was issued; it must be received by USCIS no later than 60 days after the program completion date indicated on your I-20 requesting OPT.
Your OPT application must be sent to the USCIS Service Center Lockbox which has jurisdiction over the address listed on the I-765. This can be found on the USCIS site: https://www.uscis.gov/i-765-addresses.
Optional: For email notification of your Form I-765 application receipt at the Lockbox facility, complete Form G-1145 and submit along with you application packet by registered mail
On April 12, 2021 USCIS announced that F-1 students seeking OPT can now file their I-765 online. Below is recommended steps for completing the I-765 application Online
- Create your online USCIS account: https://myaccount.uscis.gov/
- Prepare the following documents
- Digital 2X2 color passport photo that meets USCIS specification
- A scan of your passport page
- A scan of your visa page
- A scan of the front and back of any previous EAD cards (if applicable)
- A scan of any previous I-20 Forms from all schools
- A digital copy of your new I-20 Form with an OPT recommendation
- A scan of your most recent I-94 Form - https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home
- A credit card with which you can pay the filling fee
- File a form online - Application for Employment Authorization (I-765)
Note: If you choose to file your OPT application online, we recommend you should proceed the online application very carefully. The system allows you to submit your application without all required evidence, which can lead to Request for Evidence or denials. You should prepare all required documents which must be uploaded before submitting the online OPT application.