Study Area I: Arts and Humanities: nine credits, including one literature course
  • Courses that satisfy Study Area I can be found here.
  • Courses that satisfy the Study Area I Literature requirement can be found here.
  • Students cannot satisfy this area with all three courses in one subject (i.e., ENG).
  • Transfer courses can only satisfy the Literature requirement if they are 200-level or higher.
  • If English majors double count two literature courses they cannot double-count from their Minor EXCEPT in SKILL areas (so, for example, an English major with a Journalism minor can double-count two literature courses in SA I and one Journalism course in Skill Area I, but the same student with a Psych minor cannot double count both two literature courses in SAI and Psych 112 in SAIII).
  • English majors NEEDN’T double count two literature classes. They may take additional SAI classes and double-count in another SA, or even in SAI, from a minor. Or they may double count one literature course, and one class from a minor elsewhere in Gen. Ed.
  • English majors who have taken a non-majors ENG course that counts in SAI (e.g. ENG 213, 214, 260, 261, 262) may wish to use that course in SAI to avoid double-counting a survey course.
  • PHIL 220 is a SKILL Area I course, NOT a SAI course.
  • HON 110, 210, 140 fill SAI
Study Area II: Social Sciences: nine credits, including one HIST course
  • Courses that satisfy Study Area II can be found here.
  • BSED students must take either HIST 161 or HIST 162 in SAII (formerly HIST 261 or 262).
  • Students cannot satisfy this area with all three courses in one subject (i.e., HIST).
  • Sociology is NOT a “Social Science”! It is classed as a behavioral science (SAIII).
  • HON 130, 230, 442 fill SAII
Study Area III: Behavioral Sciences: six credits
  • Courses that satisfy Study Area III can be found here.
  • BSED students must take PSY 236 in SAIII.
  • As of 2009, BSED-Secondary students must take LING 200 in SAIII.
  • COMM courses for this SA: 215 and 230.
  • Hon 220, 250 fill SAIII
Study Area IV: Natural Sciences: six or seven credits including one lab science
  • Courses that satisfy Study Area IV can be found here.
  • BSED-Elementary students must take BIO 211 and SCI 111 (or any other ESCI class) in SAIV.
  • One of the two courses must have a lab component, but both may have a lab component.
  • The lab component may be part of a course, or may be taken as a stand-alone.
  • Hon 120 fills 3 credits of SAIV
Skill Area I: Communication Skills: six credits
  • Courses that satisfy Skill Area I can be found here.
  • ENG 099 does not count in Skill Area I (or anywhere else in Gen Ed), but ESL 108 and 109 do.
  • Community College courses in “Composition and Literature” (which usually transfer as ENG 1XX Writing Elective) fulfill 3 credits in SkAI, but they do NOT substitute for ENG 110.
  • A student transferring in ENG 202 now automatically has the 110 requirement fulfilled.
  • Students used to be able to fulfill 3 credits in Skill Area I by taking ENG 235—the first course in the Journalism sequence. The NEW course appropriate for general education is JRN 200. Students must take JRN 200 BEFORE they take JRN 235. Students do not have to be Journalism majors or minors to take JRN 200 or JRN 235.
  • Another way for students to fulfill 3 credits in Skill Area I is to take any language at the 125, 126, 225, or 226 level, ML 200, ASL 111 or 112, or SPAN 128, 190, 191, 290, 291, or 261, or ITAL 260.
  • COMM courses for this Skill Area: 115, 140, 280.
  • HON 140, 441 fulfill SkA1
Skill Area II: Mathematics Requirement: six credits, including one MATH or STAT course
  • Courses that satisfy Skill Area II can be found here.
  • MATH 101 is NOT a Gen Ed course. It is the prerequisite for Gen. Ed. courses. It counts for 3 credits toward graduation, but it does not count toward SkAII.
  • Recommended Math courses for English majors: MATH 105, 106
  • Recommended Statistics course for English majors: STAT 104
  • BSED-Elementary students must take MATH 113 and 213 in SkAII.
  • CS 113 is an excellent option, but CS 115 is NOT a SkAII course.
  • MATH 099 does NOT give credit toward graduation, although it will be counted in the student’s completed credits on the transcript! Be sure to subtract it when figuring out how many credits a student has left to complete.
Skill Area III: Foreign Language Proficiency Requirement
  • Courses that satisfy Skill Area III can be found here.
  • Students can also satisfy the proficiency requirement by taking three sequential years of a language in high school; passing a standardized FL exam; or demonstrating native proficiency in a language other than English; students interested in the last two options should be directed to the Modern Language Department.
  • If a student took three years of a language in high school but it doesn’t show up in CAPP, send student to ADMISSIONS to be sure high school transcripts are on record.
  • Three years of Latin in high school DOES fulfill FL requirement.
  • Students must take a language through the 112 level to satisfy requirement (so just the 111 course will not suffice).
Skill Area IV: University Requirement: two or three credits
  • Courses that satisfy Skill Area IV can be found here.
  • Students entering with fewer than 15 transfer credits must take PE144 (formerly PE 244); students transferring 15 or more credits MAY take PE 144 for SkAIV but need not-though they MUST still take SOMETHING to fulfill SkAIV.
  • In addition to the courses listed as fulfilling SkAIV, students transferring 15 or more credits can use any other Skill Area course to satisfy SkAIV.
  • Remedial courses (Math 099 and ENG 099), MATH 101, and elementary language courses (111 or 112) will not fulfill SkAIV.
  • An excellent option for transfer students with 15 or more credits is CS 115.
  • Often the Dean will accept a course that transfers in as an Elective into SkIV-send student to FD 112 to have a Dean look at his/her transcript.
International Requirement: two courses
  • The list of International (or “I”) designated courses can be found here.
  • The two International courses need not be additional courses beyond the student’s other requirements; the “I” requirement is usually filled by I-designated courses that also count in Gen Ed or the major/minor. For English majors, this usually includes ENG 203 and/or 204, as well as some of our upper-level World Lit courses.