“Great services for men. All men at the college should be a part of this” - Mark
We believe male experiences are unique and male populations are deserving of specialized and gender competent care and resources. We believe in a gender responsive framework that promotes service proficiencies that consider all areas impacting male development, socialization, engagement, service delivery, and how care is marketed to men. We believe in a positive and strength-based approach that celebrates the male experience by affirming, respecting, and embraces the human potential birthed into every male-being.
“It is our aim to build community and connect CCSU male students with support services and resources on campus and within the larger community”.
Why A Men’s Initiative?
- College men face unique challenges along their journey towards college degree completion.
- Male student face greater risks of failing to graduate
- Men are less likely to seek help or access necessary supports.
- Men have less healthy lifestyle practices and engage in riskier behavior.
- Men are more likely to be on academic probation and engage in more student conduct offenses.
- Males commit suicide at rates approximately 4 to 5 times of that of their female counterparts. Guys represent nearly 80% of all suicides.
- Ninety-nine percent of CCSU male students actively involved in the Brotherhood Initiative graduate.