Special Education & Interventions - Durational Shortage Area Permit

Special Education & Interventions


Durational Shortage Area Permit (DSAP)

What is a Durational Shortage Area Permit (DSAP)?

A Durational Shortage Area Permit (DSAP) is a process by which a school or district can hire a teacher candidate to fill a need in a designated shortage area. Special education has been identified as a shortage area in Connecticut.   

Who is eligible for a DSAP?

Teacher candidates enrolled in a teacher certification program that has been designated as a shortage area by the Connecticut State Department of Education may be eligible to accept a teaching position under a DSAP. The DSAP teaching position must be a permanent teaching position in the same content area as the candidate's Planned Program. CCSU’s School of Education and Professional Studies or Department of Special Education may choose to not support or participate in a DSAP request for any reason.

To be eligible for a DSAP teacher candidates must:

  • Be admitted to CCSU and the Special Education Professional Program
  • Have an approved Planned Program in Special Education
  • Successfully complete a minimum of twelve (12) special education graduate/undergraduate credits of their Planned Program
  • Pass Praxis II (ETS # 0543/5543) Special Education Core Knowledge & Mild to Moderate Applications
  • Pass Foundations of Reading 190 (SA 190)
  • Complete ED 177 Application Form by school, student and CCSU’s Certification Officer

Does a DSAP replace student teaching?

  • In lieu of student teaching, CCSU requires two consecutive semesters of supervision by a university faculty (first time certification and cross endorsement teacher candidates with less than three years of teaching experience register for SPED 582; cross endorsement teacher candidates with three or more years of teaching experience register for either SPED 521 or SPED 522). In order to be recommended for certification, DSAP candidates must receive a passing score on a locally scored edTPA portfolio.

Additional information regarding DSAP can be found at the Connecticut State Department of Education Website .