Central to Working Towards Equity & Inclusion.
CCSU’s Transition Specialist Official Certificate Program (OCP) is designed to prepare post bachelor’s professionals and those already licensed or certified in Special Education, School Counseling, School Psychology, Social Work, Rehabilitation, or general counseling to promote successful post-school employment and/or education outcomes of youth and young adults with disabilities.
- Starts every January and August
- Attend part-time
- 16- to 18-credit program
- Applied internship experience individually arranged with supervision provided
- Flexible scheduling: over 80% hybrid and/or accelerated formats, evening classes
- Course-embedded assignments facilitate application and transfer of learning to the classroom
- Course content aligned with edTPA; candidates receive guidance and support throughout their edTPA development
- No GMAT/GRE required
- Possess thorough knowledge of federal and state laws, regulations, and policies in special education including transition laws and policies (e.g., Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, Vocational Rehabilitation Act, Fair Labor Standards Act).
- Use evidence-based practices to meet the unique learning needs of individuals with disabilities.
- Administer a variety of formal and informal assessments and procedures to identify the strengths, preferences, and interests of individuals with disabilities as they relate to postschool settings (postsecondary education, employment, independent living).
- Use person-centered planning processes to design appropriate postschool options (postsecondary education, employment, independent living) for individuals with disabilities.
- Design, deliver, and implement appropriate transition plans for individuals with disabilities.