Thinking of a career in student activities, leadership programs, or campus recreation? We’re hiring graduate students at CCSU!
Central Connecticut State University and the Department of Student Activities and Leadership Development (SA/LD) has a rich legacy of developing emerging professionals in the field of Higher Education.
This two-year internship's main focus is to provide experiential opportunities to graduate students who are pursuing their M.S. in Counseling with a specialization in Student Development in Higher Education. We are seeking applicants who will positively contribute to the field of Student Affairs and co-curricular programming. The internship has a reputation for being a stepping-stone towards a role in higher education administration.
The Internship at a Glance
Eligibility: To be considered, you must also apply (separately) and get accepted to the CCSU Counselor Education with a specialization in Student Development in Higher Education, M.S. program. See below for additional requirements.
Perks: The position earns a $20,000 stipend for 12 months, plus tuition fee waived for part-time study. Membership of the National Association for Campus Activities is included, as well as subsidized participation in professional conferences.
Deadline: All materials must be received through our online application by February 1st. This is the same deadline as the Counselor Education academic program, though the academic application is facilitated through a separate process on the Graduate Studies website.
Questions: If you have questions regarding the SA/LD Graduate Internship, please contact the Director for SA/LD, Scott Hazan, at email@example.com. If you have questions regarding the M.S. in Counselor Education with a specialization in Student Development in Higher Education program, please contact Jelane Kennedy at firstname.lastname@example.org or 860.832.2119.
The Internship Experience: Job Responsibilities
Student Activities & Leadership Development provides meaningful involvement opportunities which foster students’ personal growth, reach their co-curricular goals, and pursue their passions. Through clubs, events, and trainings, SA/LD leads the way in building community and creating a sense of belonging through engagement at CCSU. Graduate interns are professional staff members in the department who are expected to help us fulfill this mission and perform the following job responsibilities:
- Interns will each be assigned a focus area to advise such as:
- Student Government Association and associated committees
- Culture, Faith, Social Justice, and Affiliation Groups
- Central Activities Network (Program Board)
- Advise 20 or more of the 100+ clubs, and assist with club trainings and club fairs
- Assist with large-scale programs such as Weeks of Welcome, Homecoming, and Family Day
- Support clubs with off-campus excursions and travel related tasks
- Perform on-call duty weekend rotations with the RECentral staff to supervise the CJ Huang Recreation Center operations and facility.
- Contribute to social media platforms and telling our story.
- Supervise student employees.
- Manage student activity fee funded budgets.
Hours are Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. with some nights and weekends expected. This internship is for 2 years, with renewal after first 12 months.
SA/LD is seeking talented, coachable, and motivated individuals who are committed to student development and the Student Affairs profession. Applicants must also:
- Complete a Bachelor's Degree by June 2023 with a minimum 2.70 GPA on a 4.00 scale.
- Acceptance into the Counselor Education with specialization in Student Development in Higher Education, M.S. program at CCSU or another CT State University graduate program.
- Availability to begin the internship and graduate studies in late May of 2023.
- Experience in student activities, recreation, orientation, or similar campus programs.
How to Apply
Submit your application materials by February 1 via our online form.
Please prepare to upload the following:
- A Cover Letter
- Current Resume
- 1 recommendation letters
- Academic Transcript
Note the following: the graduate school program requires an essay, 3 letters of recommendation, and official transcripts. You may upload the same recommendation letters that you use for the graduate school to your internship application. Both applications are due February 1.
Early application is encouraged to the internship as we will start to review applications as they come in. All offers are contingent on acceptance t the graduate school.
- Attend a Graduate Open House at CCSU or an Internship Fair (optional)
- Apply to both the internship and the graduate program
- Application materials are reviewed.
- Qualified applicants are invited to interview (video and/or on-campus)
- Offers are made
- Classes and the internship begin in late May/early June