Driver's License Checklist
Driving in the U.S.A.
Full time students are permitted to use their valid out-of-country license in State of Connecticut with an International Driver’s Permit obtained from the student’s home country. For more information, visit: Department of Motor Vehicles
To apply for a CT Driver's License you will need
- To be in valid/lawful F or J visa status
- An authorization letter from CIE. Make your request at the Front Desk (phone: 832-2040). (The DMV will not accept photocopies of this letter or letters not including the CIE embossed seal.)
- A copy of your CCSU course registration or transcript showing current full time enrollment.
- Two forms of ID required
- As of February 1, 2005 a U.S. Social Security Number (SSN) is required. If you do not have one, you must apply for one anyway, even though employment is the only reason a SSN is issued. If you have not secured employment, you must still apply and receive a Denial Letter from the Social Security Administration. This letter will be used as part of your application to the DMV.
- Your passport, I-94 and Form I-20 or DS-2019 (with a minimum of 6 months before expiration) will meet the ID criteria from the Primary List.
- The letter from CIE will meet the ID criteria from the Secondary List in conjunction with your SSN or Denial Letter.
- Completed DMV application
- Properly registered and insured vehicle appropriate for road test. Daily rentals are not allowed on road tests.
- Motor Vehicle Registration Certificate for the vehicle.
- Connecticut Insurance Card.
- The fee for your license, varies, depending on the years of license validity. Credit Cards are not accepted!
Two Forms of ID required
- Valid Passport
- With an I-551 red stamp
- American Visa
- Valid Immigration Documents
- School Transcript - Request through the Registrar’s office
- Social Security Card / Denial Letter
Options for scheduling an appointment:
- By Mail
- In Person