Graduate Assistantships & Internships
What is the difference between a Graduate Assistantship and an Internship?
Graduate Assistantship positions are designated for full-time matriculated students while Graduate Internships are appointed to part-time students. Graduate Assistants work no more than 20 hours a week while maintaining a full-time student status. Graduate Interns work up to 40 hours a week and are generally enrolled as a part-time student status.
CCSU Graduate Assistant and Internship positions prepare students for a wide range of career opportunities in student services at the postsecondary level. These programs provide students with the opportunity to develop first-hand knowledge of higher education professions and gain hands on experience in many areas across campus. This experiential learning opportunity provides graduate students the environment to grow both personally and professionally. Working with experienced administrators, graduate assistants and interns will work to improve the quality of campus life, foster a safe, healthy and respectful environment, support academic achievement and success, and promote leadership and civic engagement.
Through engaging in graduate experiential learning opportunities, students will develop professional experience, self-reflective projects, and professional development. In addition, graduate assistants and interns will develop high-level of critical thinking, analysis, organization, and problem solving skills.
Where Do I Search for Graduate Assistantships and Internships?
For current CCSU students, positions are listed on Handshake. Once on the Handshake webpage, follow the instructions to create your account.
For prospective students, please scroll down and view positions through the open listing portal.
How to Apply for Graduate Assistantship and Internship Positions?
All Graduate Assistantship and Internship positions are listed under the Handshake by searching position postings for Graduate Assistantships and Internships.
Positions can be applied for directly through the Handshake position posting.
Follow the instructions on the position posting and send all required application documentation to the respective departmental personnel (should be listed in the posting) for review.
All applicants must meet the following requirements to be considered for the position:
- Matriculated in a Graduate program
- Maintain a GPA of 3.00 or higher
- Be registered in the current semester
- Full Time at least nine credits (If applying to a Graduate Assistantship)
- Part Time at least three credits (If applying to a Graduate Internship)
- Part time Graduate Assistant positions are expected to complete 10 hours per week or 150 hours a semester.
- Full Time Graduate Assistant positions are expected to complete 20 hours per week or 300 hours a semester.
- Full Time Graduate Internship positions are expected to complete 35+ hours per week. (Total semester hour requirement varies)
- Assignments begin the first week of each semester and continue through to the end of the semester.
Graduate Studies Policy Regarding GA and GI Positions
- May not be employed by any other employment category by the university
- Full Time Graduate Interns as well as Part Time GA’s should not be engaged in significant employment outside of the university, or hold full time employment elsewhere or be engaged in a full time (20 hours) internship.
- GA’s are expected to make a full time commitment to graduate study.
Examples of Central Connecticut State University Graduate Internship and Assistantships
- Career Success Center
- Community Engagement
- Computer IS
- Continuing Education
- Learning Center
- Office of Wellness Education
- Residence Life
- Student Activities & Leadership Development