On-Campus Student Employment

Students work part-time on campus in almost every department. They perform a variety of jobs including assisting with general office functions, working in positions that require technical expertise, assisting with research and providing excellent customer service. Students who work on campus are more likely to remain in school and complete their degrees because they feel more connected to the university.

Available listings of part-time on-campus jobs for students can be found through Handshake. Follow the link for more information about how to activate your account. Questions about seeking part-time on-campus employment may be referred to the Career Success Center at 860.832.1615.

Once a student has been identified and hired by a university department, all appropriate forms must be completed and signed, then submitted to the Payroll Office in Davidson Hall, Room 201 for processing. Required forms and supporting documents may be viewed and printed from the Payroll Office website. Questions about completing the payroll forms may be answered by calling the Payroll Office at 860.832.2503. Employment may not commence until approval is officially received from the Payroll Department.

What is the difference between a Work Study Student and a Student Worker?

Central Connecticut State University may utilize the services of students to assist in many operations occurring within the various department offices on campus. Matriculated (degree-seeking) individuals enrolled full-time at the University may be hired as Work Study Students or Student Workers. The difference between a Work Study Student and a Student Worker is although they have similar duties, the major differentiation is Work Study Students receive payment through a portion of their financial aid package and Student Workers are paid through the hiring department's budget. 

Position Responsibilities: Under the supervision of a University employee, the student worker will perform a variety of tasks including (but not limited to): answering telephones, taking messages, scheduling appointments and directing inquiries to various departments. Students may also be responsible for referring students and visitors to appropriate campus resources, filling copiers, printers, paper and magazine racks, photocopying, filing, mailings, data entry and assisting with special projects and events. 

Qualifications:bIn general, the ideal student will be a dependable worker with excellent communication skills, attention to detail, ability to follow directions and work independently. The student must be comfortable and confident using standard PC software, e-mail, the Internet and have the ability to conduct Internet research. The worker should have a basic knowledge of campus buildings and offices, maintain a professional manner (i.e. come to work in appropriate attire) and be in good academic standing. 

Where Do I Search for Student Worker or Work Study Opportunities?

For current Central students, positions are listed on Handshake. Once on the Handshake webpage, follow the instructions to create your account and begin your search.

For prospective students, please scroll down and view positions through the open listing portal.

How to Apply for Student Employment Positions?

All on-campus positions are listed on the Handshake platform by searching position postings for Student Worker or Work Study. These opportunities may be applied for directly through the Handshake position posting. Other directions may also be given. Please follow the instructions on the position posting and send all required application documentation to the respective departmental personnel (should be listed in the posting) for review.


All applicants must meet the following requirements to be considered for the position:

  • Matriculated in an Undergraduate program
  • Maintain a GPA of 2.00 or higher
  • Be registered full-time for the current semester or next if on semester break.

Duties/Hours Required

A student employee will be expected to work within a department during their assigned hours. These hours are limited during the academic semester but may be allowed additional hours during semester breaks. Employment opportunities may be suspended due to budget or financial aid funding.

Locations of possible Central Connecticut State University Work Study and Student Worker Positions

  • Academic Departments
  • Athletics
  • Career Success Center
  • Community Engagement
  • Computer IS
  • Continuing Education
  • Dean's Office
  • Learning Center
  • Library
  • Office of the Bursar
  • Office of the Registrar
  • Office of Wellness Education
  • Residence Life
  • Student Activities & Leadership Development
  • Student Center