Registrar - Degree Works FAQs
Office of the Registrar

Office of the Registrar


Degree Works FAQs

About Degree Works

What is Degree Works?

Degree Works is a Web-based tool for students to monitor their academic progress toward degree completion. Degree Works also allows students and their advisors to plan future academic coursework.

What is a degree evaluation?

A Degree Works degree evaluation is a review of past, current and "planned" coursework that provides information on completed and outstanding requirements necessary to complete a degree/major/minor/concentration.

Is my information confidential?

Yes. Degree Works is accessed through a secure login buy using your BlueNet username and password.

Who has the ability to access Degree Works?

You will only be able to see your own degree evaluation, and other students will not be able to see your degree evaluation unless you let them.

Can I register for classes in Degree Works?

No. Degree Works is a snapshot of courses in-progress, planned, and in academic history. Registration, add/drop, etc., are still handled through the registration function in WebCentral-Banner Web.

Will I be able to plan for future courses?

Yes. With the help of your advisor, you can set up a degree plan that shows the courses you need to register for in each semester until graduation.

Are my grades visible in Degree Works?

Yes. Once grades have been processed at the end of the semester, they are viewable in Degree Works. Courses in-progress are listed with a grade of "REG" and the credits in parentheses.

Is Degree Works a transcript? Is this the same as my transcript?

No. Degree Works is a degree evaluation of your progress toward graduation as well as an outline of requirements still needed to complete your program of study.

Can I see a list of all of the classes I've taken?

Yes. Click on the "Class History" link at the top for a printable list of courses taken. Your complete unofficial transcript is accessible inside WebCentral-Banner Web.

What do I do if I believe my information is incorrect?

You should consult your advisor and review your degree evaluation with him/her to ensure accuracy.

How can I update information?

You cannot update course or curriculum information in Degree Works. If you need to change your major/minor/concentration undergraduates must to complete a Change of Major/Minor/Concentration form available on the Office of the Registrar's, obtain the necessary approvals, then deliver it to the Office of the Registrar. Graduate students should consult with the Graduate Studies Office.


Using the Degree Evaluation

What will my degree evaluation show me?

Your degree evaluation will display the courses you've taken or are in progress. The degree evaluation will show you any degree, major, minor, or concentration requirements that are being met by the courses you've taken or that may be met upon satisfactory completion of courses in progress.

Will I be able to view my entire history of courses taken at CCSU?

Degree Works uses the information that is current for your transcript. You will be able to view any courses that have been completed/registered for/transferred by the date your degree evaluation was last refreshed. Keep in mind that any transfer work or grade changes that have not been formally submitted and accepted will not appear on your degree evaluation.

How do I know what classes I need to take?

Your degree evaluation will outline for you courses still needed to meet degree, major, minor, and/or concentration requirements within each specific block. You may then use this information to discuss your plan with your academic advisor.

Can I view course information in Degree Works?

Yes. By clicking on a course in your degree evaluation you can view the course description, pre-requisites required, and available course sections for the upcoming semester.

If I withdraw from a class, will that be reflected in my degree evaluation?

Courses from which you have withdrawn will appear in the Insufficient block on your degree evaluation.


"What If"

What is the 'What If' feature?

The "What If" function allows you to hypothetically change your major, minor, or concentration. Your new "What If" degree evaluation will show you what coursework is required for this major, minor, or concentration, what courses you have taken that satisfy requirements, and what courses are still left for you to take.

If I use the 'What If' feature does this mean that I have changed my major?

No. The "What If" function is for information purposes only. You will see the header "What If" Degree evaluation displayed at the top of the degree evaluation whenever a degree evaluation is run on a" What If" scenario.

Can my advisor see my "What If" scenario?

No. You can only process a single degree with each "What If" scenario you run. You can choose a double major or double minor. However, if you want to save multiple "What If" plans, you will need to save it as a PDF file to your computer, flash drive, or other storage device for future retrieval.

Can I view multiple 'What If' scenarios on the same screen?

Yes. Degree Works will allow you to select more than one major at a time, or to select multiple major(s), minor(s) and concentration(s).

Can I save my 'What If' scenario?

No. "What If" plans are not saved on Degree Works. You would need to run a new "What If" scenario next time you log in to see it again.

If I like what I see in my 'What If' scenario, how do I initiate those changes?

Speak with your advisor. If you need to change your major/minor/concentration undergraduates must to complete a Change of Major/Minor/Concentration form available on the Office of the Registrar's website, obtain the necessary approvals, then deliver it to the Office of the Registrar. Graduate students should consult with the Graduate Studies Office.



Can I print my degree evaluation?

You can print your degree evaluation by clicking on the "Print" button at the top or you can print the Registration Checklist and/or save the degree evaluation in a PDF. For a more print-friendly view, save your degree evaluation as a .pdf and then print the document.



I'm already a junior. Is it too late for me to use the Planner?

Please note that only program requirements from the 2015-2016 catalog and later will be in Degree Works. If you intend to graduate under a catalog that is prior to the 2015-2016 catalog, you will need to use the old degree evaluation system (CAPP) in WebCentral-Banner Web

I'm undeclared. Do I have to wait to use the Planner until I've picked a major?

Don't forget to declare your major/minor/concentration. Undergraduates must to complete a Change of Major/Minor/Concentration form available on the Office of the Registrar's, obtain the necessary approvals, then deliver it to the Office of the Registrar.

Will the Planner confirm that a certain course is going to be offered in an upcoming semester?

Not at this time. However, you should consult the academic catalog for planned cycling of courses. For courses in your major, you should discuss your planned courses with your advisor. S/he will remain your best source of information regarding course offerings sequencing in your major. Some department offices also maintain a list of courses that will be offered in future semesters.

If I put a course on my Planner, does that guarantee that this course will be offered?

No. In the future, we will use this information to help us plan each semester's course schedule, but listing a course on your plan will not guarantee that it will be offered.

If a course has prerequisites, will the Planner notify me if I place it in my plan out of sequence?

No. You will want to review your plan with your advisor to ensure that you have courses in the proper sequence. You can also review the course descriptions in the catalog for prerequisite information for each of your courses.

I'm planning to take a course at another institution this summer. Should I put it on my planner?

Before you take a course at another college or university, however, be sure to discuss it with your advisor. You must also have the planned transfer credit approved by the Office of the Registrar by submitting a Transfer Credit Approval Request form.

Who has access to the plans I create through the Planner?

Other students will NOT have access to your plan or your degree degree evaluation.

How can I share my plan with my advisor to make sure that it's correct?

Your advisor can log in to Degree Works and review your plan online. You can also print your plan by using the print link in the upper-right hand corner of the planner and take a copy of your plan to your advising appointment.

Can I make more than one plan?

Yes. However, at least one plan must be marked as your Primary plan.

How often should I update my Planner?

You should update your plan when you drop a course, receive an unsatisfactory grade in a course, or make any other changes that affect your degree progress. Once a semester ends and your grades are placed on your records, you'll no longer be able to update information for that term.