Social Security Number Checklist
How Do I Apply For a Social Security Number?
You will need to:
- Be in valid/lawful F-1 or J-1 visa status
- Have been offered a job (The Career Success Center maintains a listing of available job opportunities on campus.)
- Stop by CIE front desk to pick up the Employment Verification Form for your employer’s signature and submit to Toyin Ayeni, at CIE for additional signature. This letter will be authorized and returned to you for submission to the SSA as part of your application.
- Submit a completed Social Security Card application
- Present your valid Passport
- Present your valid Form I-20 or DS-2019
- Present your I-94 (small white card inside your passport)
- Apply in person at the U.S. Social Security, 233 Main Street 2nd Floor, New Britain, CT 06051 (There is no fee for this application).
- Tel: 1.866.858.6086
- Request a receipt or some type of proof that you have applied for your number. (This receipt is required by Business Services in Marcus White Annex, room 006 to begin your employment on campus. Your employment paperwork will not be processed and you cannot begin working until Business Services receives proof that you have applied for a Social Security number.)
The Social Security Administration is required to confirm the immigration status of non-immigrant applicants through the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Upon confirmation, an official Social Security Card with your individual Social Security Number will be mailed to the address listed on your application, usually within 2 weeks. Any inconsistency of information will delay the issuance of your Card by up to 12 weeks.
Report your Social Security Number to: