Central to Analyzing the Components of Crime.
CCSU’s BA in Criminology helps students understand why people commit crimes, how crime impacts society, and what policies or programs can be used to prevent crime. Students prepare for variety of careers in criminal justice and related fields, further graduate studies, and/or career advancement.
Curriculum emphasizes on development of strong communication and critical thinking skills, understanding of diversity and equity, and ethical decision making. The program offers elective courses such as: Gangs in America, Hate Crimes, Cybercrime, Sexual Predators, Police Crisis Response, Cults and Conspiracies, Domestic Violence, Criminal Law, Drugs & Society, and Anger and Aggression.
Accelerated Program Option
The Department offers an accelerated program, where motivated students can earn a BA in Criminology and a MS in Criminal Justice in five years. Students apply in their junior year of study. Visit the program website for more information and eligibility requirement
- Full-time faculty include nationally and internationally recognized experts in the fields of criminal law, criminology, and psychology
- Part-time faculty are current or former leaders in the criminal justice field and represent a variety of agencies including the Connecticut Judicial Branch, Department of Correction, State Police, and State’s Attorney’s Office.
- Faculty have published extensively and trained criminal justice practitioners on topics such as sexual victimization, hate crimes, cybercrimes, juvenile risk assessment, forensic treatment, problem-oriented policing, police education, anger management, motivational interviewing, and cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Small class sizes taught by professors well-connected with criminal justice agencies
- Highly diverse student population
- Internship opportunities
- Financial aid and scholarships available
- Free on-campus child care available