This is an unofficial description for this program. For official information check the Academic Catalog.
The Advanced Official Certificate Program (OCP) in Professional Counseling is designed for practicing counselors who already hold a master’s degree in counseling or related field and are preparing for state licensure as a Professional Counselor through the State of Connecticut Department of Public Health or national Certification as a Rehabilitation Counselor (CRC). A certificate in advanced graduate work in Professional Counseling is issued upon completion of a combination of up to 30 credits of selected 500-level courses, with a grade of B or better, designed for the certificate program. In addition, the OCP offers an 18-credit Gerontology Counseling specialization track for practicing counselors.
Admission criteria for the Advanced Official Certificate Program in Professional Counseling:
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education and a Master's degree in counseling or related field from a regionally accredited institution of higher education with an minimum graduate cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher
- Completion of the application process: Students must formally apply to Graduate Admissions by completing the application form, paying the non refundable application fee of $50 and having official transcripts for each course taken sent by each previously attended University (excluding CCSU) directly to Graduate Admissions
- Three current professional recommendations
- Written essay - description of student's motivation for advanced graduate study, past experience and future professional goals
- Interview with program faculty
Instructions for uploading the recommendations and essay will be found within the online graduate application.