Central to Opening New Worlds.
CCSU’s Sixth-Year Certificate in Reading & Language arts is an advanced degree program
for educators interested in strengthening their skills in literacy instruction and
applying them in the classroom or as reading specialists and/or language arts consultants.
Program is aligned with the standards for the Preparation of Literacy Professionals
2017 of the International Literacy Association (ILA).
- Starts every January and August
- 30- to 36-credit program
- Attend part-time
- Classes offered evenings on campus and online
- Financial aid is available
- No GMAT/GRE required
According to the National Assessment of Educational Progress only 35% of 4th-graders
and 34% of 8th-graders were reading at or above proficiency in 2019.
- Candidates interpret and summarize historically shared knowledge of the profession
and changes over time in the perceptions of reading and writing development, processes,
- Candidates support classroom teachers and other education professionals in using instructional
approaches, materials, and an integrated, comprehensive, balanced curriculum to support
student learning in reading and writing.
- Candidates lead classroom teachers and other education support personnel in analyzing
and using assessment data to plan and evaluate effective reading and writing instruction.
- Candidates provide support and leadership to educators, parents, students and other
members of the school community in valuing the contributions of diverse people and
traditions to literacy learning.
- Candidates participate in, design, facilitate, lead, and evaluate effective and differentiated
professional development programs.