I am a specialist in small carnivore conservation. I use both field and molecular methods to address applied questions related to the ecology, genetics, and conservation of members of the family Mustelidae. Some topics of interest include; monitoring methods for carnivores, occupancy modeling, and landscape genetics.
My current projects include; 1) Subspecies status of the Everglades mink (Neovision vison evergladensis); 2) Occupancy modeling of American marten (Martes americana) and fisher (Pekania pennanti) in southern Vermont and northwestern Massachusetts; 3) Distribution and occupancy of fisher on public and private lands in Connecticut.
Current Master's Students
Sarah Ashbrook: 'Factors Influencing Co-occurrence of Mesocarnivores in the Southern Green Mountain National Forest'
Katerina Hutchins: 'Differences in Occupancy and Detectability of Fisher (Pekania pennanti) in Forested Habitats East and West of the Connecticut River'
Chris Plourde: ‘Influence of Forest Structure and Composition on Marten (Martes americana) Occupancy in the Green Mountain National Forest’
- Testerman K and Hapeman P (2022) Carnivore occupancy within the early successional habitat of New England cottontails. Journal of Fish and Wildlife Management 13: 192-204.
- Hapeman P, Smith L, Kosciolek A, Winchester C, Gore J (2021) A predictive model of habitat use for Atlantic saltmarsh mink (Neovison vison lutensis) in northeastern Florida. Mammal Research 66: 541–551.
- Ahmadpour M, Moradi HV, Rezaei HR, Oshaghi MA, Hapeman P, Colagar AH (2020) Genetic and population diversity of the great gerbil (Rhombomys opimus) in the Iranian Plateau. Zoology in the Middle East, DOI: 1080/09397140.2020.1711625).
- Billerman S, Jesmer B, Watts A, Schlichting P, Micheletti S, Bergamini, R, Fortin M-J, Funk C, Hapeman P, Muths E, and Murphy M (2019) Testing metapopulation conditions with genotypic data: a case study using boreal chorus frogs. Canadian Journal of Zoology 97: 1042-1053.
- Hapeman P, Latch EK, Rhodes OE, Jr., Swanson B, and Kilpatrick CW (2017) Genetic population structure of fishers (Pekania pennanti) in the Great Lakes region: Remnants and reintroductions. Canadian Journal of Zoology 95: 869-876.
- O'Brien P, Bernier C, and Hapeman P (2017) A new record of an American marten (Martes americana) population in southern Vermont. Small Carnivore Conservation 56: 68-75.
- Watts AG, Schlichting PE, Billerman SM, Jesmer BR, Micheletti S, Fortin M-J, Funk WC, Hapeman P, Muths E, and Murphy MA (2015) How spatio-temporal habitat connectivity affects amphibian genetic structure. Frontiers of Genetics 6: 275. doi: 10.3389/fgene.2015.00275
- Hapeman PS, Latch EK, Rhodes, OE, Jr., and Kilpatrick CW (2014) When recent and evolutionary histories meet: Deciphering temporal events from contemporary patterns of mtDNA from fishers (Martes pennanti) in northeastern North America. Journal of Zoological Systematics and Evolutionary Research 52: 331-337.
- Hapeman PS, Latch EK, Fike JA, Rhodes, OE, Jr., and Kilpatrick CW (2011) Landscape genetics of fishers (Martes pennanti) n the Northeast: Dispersal barriers and historical influences. Journal of Heredity 102: 251-259.
IUCN Small Carnivore Specialist Group
Martes Working Group
The Wildlife Society
- Conservation Biology
- Conservation Genetics
- Wildlife Techniques
- Wildlife Ecology and Management
- Wildlife Issues