Jumpstart is a national organization dedicated to serving preschool children in low-income neighborhoods. Jumpstart recruits and trains college and university students and community members who utilize a proven curriculum to help children develop the language and literacy skills needed to be ready for kindergarten. This focus sets them on a path to close the achievement gap.
In the 2016-2017 academic year, at Central Connecticut State University, 94% of children in the evaluation sample made gains on the Jumpstart School Success Checklist. (JSSC) The JSSC is used to measure what pre-school children are learning before and after participating in Jumpstart.
How does the jumpstart program work?
Jumpstart At Central
"Jumpstart is located at CCSU and is affiliated with the Office of Community Engagement. Jumpstart Corps Members are trained through the Site Manager providing the necessary professional development needed. CCSU students will work in teams of 4-6 members. Jumpstart will go into local preschools of New Britain and read books, facilitate center times, sing songs and more! Corps Members will earn the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award with the completion of the program. This amount awarded is $1300.00. Federal work study is available for students who join the program if they are applicable. Students are not required to have work study to join and be a Corps Member".
Monday & Wednesday 9am – 12pm
Tuesday & Thursday 9am – 12pm
*Interested applicants must be available during on session time two times per week for the entire academic year.
(If interested and times do not align with your schedule, see my contact information, send Margot an email and we will see what we can do for you!)
Benefits of Joining Jumpstart:
- Work with preschool children in the local community on reading, writing, and social-emotional skills.
- Earn Federal Work Study (if applicable).
- No prior experience with children is necessary.
- All majors and academic backgrounds are welcome!
- Receive professional training in Early Education.
- Serve 10-12 hours per week with a team of your peers.
- Receive a Segal AmeriCorps Education award following your service.
- Join a diverse service network, including over 20,000 alumni.
- Priority class registration for freshman and sophomore students.