The Accelerate Program gives eligible, full-time English majors the opportunity to complete a BA and MA in English in 5 years. Two graduate courses will double-count as 300-level undergraduate courses for a total of 6 credits double-counted. Students who successfully complete this program will earn both degrees in 144 credits total, versus the 150 credits required to complete both degrees separately, and this amounts to saving both time and money.
Academic Map for Accelerate English
At the time of application, students must have met the following criteria to be eligible:
- Have completed 60 or more credit hours, at least 12 of which must have been earned at CCSU and at least 6 of which must be ENG courses; moreover, one of these ENG courses must be ENG 398 passed with a B or better.
- Have at least a 3.3 cumulative grade point average.
- Have at least a 3.3 grade point average in English courses.
Note: After acceptance, students must maintain a 3.0 cumulative grade point average to remain in the Accelerate Central program.
How to apply
Students meeting all the admissions criteria should submit the following materials:
- A letter of application detailing reasons for wishing to pursue graduate study in English that also provides the names of two professors from the English department who could serve as a reference to the Director of Graduate Studies.
- A writing sample of 7-10 pages showcasing the applicant's strongest analytical or critical writing about literature. Work written for previous courses is acceptable (indeed encouraged), but "creative" pieces (poetry, fiction, or memoir) are not appropriate.
While we accept applications on a rolling basis, you should plan to apply by August 1st for fall admission and December 1st for spring admission to receive full consideration. Please email copies of your application materials to both the English Department Chair and the Director of Graduate Studies in English.