SOCIAL WORK PROGRAM: ADMISSION TO PROGRAM
Standards for Admission to the Social Work Program
1. Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 for courses taken at CCSU, as well as an overall GPA of 2.00, which includes both CCSU grades and grades for courses taken at other institutions.
2. Minimum overall GPA of 2.50 for the following introductory Social Work courses and related requirements ( Program GPA) including:
| SW 100 or SOC 111
||BIO 111 or BMS 111
| SW 225
||PS 110 or PS 230
| SW 226
| SW 227
| ANTH 140 or SOC 110
Each of these courses must be completed with a minimum grade of C.
3. A minimum score of 2 (emerging) on the Potential for Professional Competence for Generalist Social Work Practice Scale in each of the following CSWE competencies:
2.1.1 Identify as a professional social worker and conduct oneself accordingly
2.1.3 Apply critical thinking to inform and communicate professional judgments
2.1.4 Engage diversity and difference in practice
4. A minimum score of 3 or higher in every category of the Volunteer Experience Evaluation for SW 226 and SW 227 .
5. Minimum scores of 3 on the Professional Social Work Disposition Rubric for SW 225, SW 226, and SW 227 . The Transfer Student Reference Form may be substituted for field experiences from other colleges.
How to Apply to the Social Work Program
Applications to the Social Work Program are accepted three times a year with deadlines of August 15th, October 1st, and March 1st. Students must submit an admission portfolio and have an interview with the Social Work faculty. The ideal time to apply to the Program is when the applicant is enrolled in either SW 226 or SW 227 and has completed the other one. For students who begin their academic career at CCSU, this should be in the fourth semester. Click here for more details.