Advanced Official Certificate Program in Professional Counseling
The Advanced Official Certificate Program in Professional Counseling is designed for practicing counselors who already hold a master’s degree in counseling or pyschology and are preparing for state licensure or advanced practice as a Professional Counselor. A certificate in advanced graduate work in Professional Counseling is issued upon completion of 7-18 credits of selected 500-level courses, with a grade of B or better, designated for the certificate program. Candidates for the OCP who are interested in licensure are responsible for working with the Connecticut Department of Public Health regarding specific required coursework for their Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) eligibility.
Admission criteria for the Advanced Official Certificate Program in Professional Counseling:
- Master's degree in counseling or psychology with an overall GPA of 3.00 or higher
- Completion of the application process: Students must formally apply to Graduate Admissions by completing the application form, paying the non refundable application fee of $50 and having official transcripts for each course taken sent by each previously attended University (excluding CCSU) directly to Graduate Admissions
- Three current professional recommendations
- Written essay - description of student's motivation for advanced graduate study, past experience and future professional goals
- Interview with program faculty
All students will be required to take Orientation to Professional Counseling, a one-credit course.