Student Union Board of Governors Minutes

| Student Union Home |


Student Union Board of Governors (SUBOG)

Minutes for Friday, February 26, 2010, 1849 Meeting Room


Present:  K. Fournier (Chair), A. Santana, C. Leahy, M. Craw, A. Pasquariello, P. Beaudoin, S. Dattillo, J. Kassay, D. Joseph, K. Hanley, M. Wright, A. Grella,  J. DiPlacido, G. Gigliotti, K. Barone, R. Bachoo,
L. Tordenti, S. Hazan, O. Mamed

Absent:  H. Pancak, M. Vekakis, K. Dalia, Commuter Rep, Graduate Rep

Guests:  K. Poirier, L. Mongrello, C. Jones, M. Santilli, S. Thompson, A. Antar, S. Afghani, A. Alsaqri, P. Majidy

Ms. Fournier called the meeting to order at 2:05 PM.  She welcomed all and entertained a motion to approve the minutes from the previous meeting of the Board.

MOTION (G. Gigliotti / C. Leahy)                                                                     SUBOG 2010-23

To approve the minutes of the January 29, 2010, Board meeting as presented (attached)

Motion Passed:   14-Yes        0-No                0-Abstained

CAN Report
The CAN monthly report of activities, produced by this subcommittee of the SUBOG was presented by
P. Beaudoin.  The CAN Super Weekend was successful and well attended.  Events included Make Your own Music Videos, Open Mic, Jeff Civillico, comedian/magician, Roller Skating in Semesters, and a mini concert with Brian Jarvis / Bronze Radio Return.  Upcoming events include Ryanhood on 3/2, a St. Patrick’s Day Spectacular with Lee Camp and UCB and Mobiloxyschlock.  She also indicated that the last two weeks of April would be the “Spring Fling” for the campus.  The Spring Concert will be New Found Glory (NFG!) and Wale on 4/24.  C. Leahy told the group that Spring Fling and SGA Elections were being done as a cooperative venture.  The CAN report is attached.

Mosaic Committee
D. Joseph presented the report on behalf of the vacant Mosaic Chair position.  The lecture “The DeWolf Family Burden” was very successful, including classes in the morning, a luncheon with faculty and an evening program which was well attended, followed by a reception hosted by the Graduate Student Association (GSA).  The next program is 3/29 called “In Our Family.”  A written report was not submitted.

House Committee
K. Fournier reported on behalf of this committee.  The House Committee met on 2/24 with members of the Muslim Student Association (MSA) and Hillel Jewish Student Organization to discuss their request (attached) for possible support of a spiritual meditation area somewhere in the Student Center.  Many options were discussed, including taking a meeting room off-line, adjusting the space utilized by the Women’s Center, adding a room outside the Pride/BSU/UCC Offices, and identifying a location in the 3rd floor lounge.  Other suggestions were made for locations, such as a vacant classroom in DiLoreto or Marcus White Living Room.  Areas outside of the Student Center do not come under the authority of the SUBOG, so it was suggested that MSA and other groups interested in creating a spiritual center contact the Facilities Use Committee to discuss options.

It was suggested that MSA and other organizations and students who want to create a “Spiritual Center” on campus petition the Connecticut State University - Board Of Trustees when they visit campus in May for additional space being added to the CCSU Student Center (from 80,000 sq ft to 120,000 sq ft) similar to what SCSU has for their Student Center.

In the short term, O. Mamed suggested the location on the 3rd floor lounge, East end of the floor, where chairs could be removed, a portable partition installed, and a sign that indicated this space should be respected by the community as others gathered for prayer and meditation.

MOTION (O. Mamed / G. Gigliotti)                                                                  SUBOG 2010-24

To utilize the East end of the Normal School Lounge, outside the LGBT Center, as a meditation space and as a short term solution to the need and to be reviewed during the ’10-’11 school year for review and renewal

Motion Passed:        10-Yes         5-No          1-Abstained
O. Mamed was directed to have the campus Fire Marshall review this use, adjust furniture, provide a partition and signage before the next SUBOG Meeting to accommodate community spiritual needs.

Student Services Committee Report
K. Hanley reported that this group is doing a survey to determine if the Devil’s Den 10 PM (DD10PM) program is useful and worthwhile to the student population.  A report will be forthcoming.  She also will use this survey process to promote SUBOG, CAN, and programming in general in the Student Center.

Budget Committee Report
There was no budget report or requests for funding.

Old Business
The Living Room Lecture Series information was updated.  On March 30, 2010, the Cambridge Debates will go on again this year.  This year the topic up for debate is “This House Believe that Rap is Crap” 8 PM in Semesters.  The committee is working toward achieving a higher attendance at this event than in recent past years.  “Funny Money” with James Cunningham, a financial seminar specifically geared toward students learning how to manage their assets will be presented on Tuesday, April 27, 2010, at 9 PM in Semesters in the Student Center together with IRC.  “Our Green Future” will be presented on April 27, 2010, in Semesters, Student Center.  See the attached report for more details on all of these programs.

New Business
Election for the next chair of the SUBOG will be coming up.  Ms. Fournier asked that anyone interested in running should feel free to contact her, O. Mamed or S. Hazan to discuss what the position entails before the next meeting, when nominations will be taken.  The April meeting of SUBOG will be the election.

M. Wright asked that we investigate a “help” light for the handicapped stalls.  Further investigation will be worked on by O. Mamed and Facilities Management.


The meeting was adjourned at 3:15 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

Wayne “Otis” Mamed
Executive Secretary, SUBOG 2009-2010