Prevention Tips for Dating Violence
· Know your rights.
- You have the right to say NO at any time to any type of behavior that makes you uncomfortable.
- You have the right to leave.
· Communicate Effectively. Be heard and understood by using powerful words like NO, STOP, or HELP.
· Consider double dating or dating in a public place.
· If you choose to drink, drink responsibly.
· Learn to recognize signs of an abusive personality. These can include; A push for a quick involvement, jealousy, isolation, cruelty to animals, adherence to rigid sex roles, mood swings, threats of violence, controlling behavior, and hypersensitivity.
Cycle of Abuse
Everyday conflicts and stresses occur.
Tension starts building.
Abuser explodes and battery follows.
Abuser apologizes, makes excuses,
Tries to make up to victim.
Victim forgives and hopes it
Will be different this time.
Things seem better.
However. It begins again.