Student Center Leadership & Management Program
Our Student Employees Are...
- An Integral part of the Student Center participating in every aspect of the operation and management
- Campus Leaders with proven academic standing
- People who want to be a part of something special
Our S.T.A.R Leadership & Management Program
Our student employees are automatically enrolled in our S.T.A.R. Leadership & Management Program. The S.T.A.R. Program is designed to guide student employees in developing their job related skills and personal development. Involvement with the S.T.A.R. Program is "experiential" in nature. Its focus is educational, but occurs outside of the standard classroom environment. We believe that such experiences play a crucial role in providing students with an enriched education.
What doe S.T.A.R. stand for?
- Service – Participants learn to provide quality service by creating a positive experience with each guest of the Student Center.
- Team – Participants will develop the ability to work cooperatively in groups by recognizing, respecting, and appreciating others. They also learn to communicate with and support other team members.
- Autonomy – Participants are encouraged to act independently, to risk trying something new or different, or to go beyond the rules in order to satisfy customers.
- Responsibility – Participants are managed in a way that fosters dependable, reliable and trustworthy behavior, resulting in an increased sense of personal integrity.
S.T.A.R. of the Month
S.T.A.R. employees are students that go above and beyond the call of duty. They work effectively with others and are customer service oriented, exemplifing the guidelines of the S.T.A.R. program. Student employees are nominated each month by any member of The Student Center team including administrative faculty, staff, graduate interns, and student employees. Nomination forms can be found at the Reception Desk, in the Intern Office, and at the Information Desk. The administrative faculty, staff, and graduate interns then meet to select the S.T.A.R of the Month.
Each month the Student Center publishes a student employee newsletter. The purpose of the newsletter is to inform student employees about what is happening in the Student Center including - but not limited to - recognizing the S.T.A.R. of the month, student employment information, welcoming new, and recognizing student employees etc.
Click here to view the Summer 2013 Edition of STARdust
Yearly, The Student Center faculty, staff, and interns honor one new student employee (who has worked for the Student Center for less than two full semesters) that shows great potential and dedication to The Student Center. This award is given based on a student’s drive and their commitment to The Student Center.
Duane A. Orloske Award for Outstanding Student Employees
Students considered for this award are taken from the entire pool of student employees who have worked for the Student Center during this academic calendar year. The outstanding student employee is chosen “in recognition of outstanding initiative and achievement as a student employee.” This has been an ongoing tradition in the CCSU Student Center since 1975. In the spring, the faculty, staff, and graduate interns review all candidates based on the criteria listed below:
• Must have worked in The Student Center for more than two full semesters
• Must have all good or better performance evaluations
• Must be active in many areas of the campus and local community
• Contributes to their peers in a positive manner
• Contributes to the area(s) worked in and has had a positive impact
• Has at least a 2.00 cumulative GPA throughout tenure
* The students selected as Rising S.T.A.R. and Outstanding Student Employee of the Year are
recognized at the Student Union Board of Governors Annual Recognition Dinner each spring.