Course Abroad & Passport Program 

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Do I need a passport?

A: Yes! Participants in all study abroad and course abroad programs sponsored by CCSU are required to have a valid passport. Federal regulations require that the passport be valid at least 6 months beyond the intended date of return. Airlines may deny boarding to travelers not meeting this requirement, so plan ahead!

Q: My passport is about to expire. Can I still use it?

A: Federal regulations require that the passport be valid at least 6 months beyond the intended date of return. Airlines may deny boarding to travelers not meeting this requirement, so plan ahead!

Q: Why should I participate in a Course Abroad?

A: There are many reasons you should participate in a Course Abroad or other international experience while you are at CCSU. To name a few good reasons:

  • Enhance your résumé. In today's global economy, most companies are multinational firms. Gain an edge in the job market by getting international experience before you graduate.
  • Choose a career. Travel abroad may lead you to realize that you want to pursue a career in international business or launch your professional career working abroad.
  • Learn a language. There is no better way to learn a language than to immerse yourself in the foreign culture.
  • Meet interesting people and experience different cultures.

Q: Are scholarships available for this program?

A: Matriculated students at CCSU in good academic standing with a GPA above 2.5 are eligible to apply to the Center for International Education for scholarship assistance. The scholarship application is included in the Course Abroad Registration form.  Individuals who receive tuition waivers (e.g., Veteran, Over 62, AAUP or SUOAF benefits waiver, etc.) are not eligible for CIE scholarships, which are tuition scholarships.

Q: I've found a Course Abroad that interests me. What should I do to prepare?

A: That's great! Here's what you should do next:

  • Make sure your passport has not expired, or if you don't have a passport, visit the Department of State's website to find out how to apply for one;
  • Talk to your Advisor to find out what course(s) you should take;
  • Meet with the faculty leading the Course Abroad program to learn more about how to prepare academically, and what you will see and learn while you’re abroad;
  • Contact other organizations you are affiliated with (i.e. employer, civic or religious organizations) to find out if they can offer any financial assistance to help you with the costs of participation.

Q: Can I change my travel plans to stay abroad after the Course Abroad ends?

A: Course Abroad Programs are comprehensive group travel programs. Students may not depart for a program early or late, join an already in-progress program from another location, or return separately from a program.

Q: If I normally receive Financial Aid to attend CCSU, can my aid be used to cover course abroad costs?

A: It depends. To find out whether you have enough aid to cover all or part of the tuition and travel fee costs associated with a Course Abroad, visit the Financial Aid Office and talk to your Financial Aid counselor.

Q: Can I enroll in a Course Abroad Program without enrolling in the academic course?

A: No. If you do not need to earn credit for the academic course included in the Course Abroad, you may choose to audit the course. While auditing requires payment of tuition and fees, you are not required to complete the course assignments (i.e., homework, exams, projects, etc).

Q: Do I have to be a junior or senior to participate in a course abroad?

A: No. Courses abroad offer undergraduate courses at the 200, 300, and 400-level. Most programs can also be taken for graduate credit. You do not need to hold advanced academic standing in order to participate. 

Q: Will the grade I earn in the course abroad count toward my GPA?

A: Yes. You earn regular CCSU credit for the coursework taken on a Course Abroad.

Q: Will participation in a course abroad program satisfy the University's International Requirement?

A: Yes! All courses taught as part of a Course Abroad program contribute toward fulfillment of the University's undergraduate General Education International Requirement.

Q: Do I have to speak a foreign language in order to participate in a Course Abroad?

A: In most cases, the answer is no. The language of instruction of most Course Abroad programs is English. Exceptions to this general rule are programs offered by the Modern Language Department, which are designed to give you the opportunity to learn a language while traveling. In some instances, the Modern Language Department will offer an upper-level course taught exclusively in a foreign language; in that case, the program advertisement will clearly indicate that foreign language proficiency is required. 

Q: What if I have never traveled outside the United States?

A: Participation in a Course Abroad is perfect for you! The majority of Course Abroad program participants have never traveled outside the U.S. before, so you will be in good company!

Q: Who will lead the Course Abroad program?

A: All CCSU Courses Abroad progams are led by members of the CCSU faculty, who develop these programs so that students can expand their world view.

powered by finalsite