Bookstore Police Services
Cancellation of Classes Residence Life
Childcare Student Government
Indentification Cards Student Organizations
Parking University Health Service
Permission for Photos of Students Voter Registration
Pet Policy  


The University Bookstore, operated by Barnes and Noble, Inc., is located in the Student Center. Textbook options are now available in our suite of services. Students can choose to buy new books, used books, Rent books or purchase Digital books. These options allow savings up to 60% off a traditional new book. Also, the University Bookstore maintains an inventory of school supplies; dormitory accessories; CCSU gift items; a wide variety of CCSU clothing, health and beauty aids, magazines, and a large selection of drinks, snacks, grocery items, and ice cream. Feel free to shop the bookstore website that is open 24/7 at or become a fan of the CCSU Facebook page to receive updates, prizes or sale information at

Cancellation of Classes or Final Examinations Due to Inclement Weather

Classes may be cancelled or delayed because of inclement weather conditions.

The most accurate cancellation and delay information for Central Connecticut State University will be made available on the Storm Phone: 860-832-3333 and on the web at These services will be updated as weather conditions warrant. Additionally, the University may choose to use its Emergency Notification System to alert registered users of weather cancellations.

If the University is forced to close or delay during the final examination period because of storm conditions, this information will be made available on the Storm Phone and the web. These services will also carry information once the affected exams are rescheduled.

The University will notify the broadcast media of cancellations or delays affecting regular classes or exams. WTIC-AM 1080 is the principal radio outlet. WFSB-TV 3, WTNH-TV 8, and WVIT-TV 30 are the principal television outlets. Since radio and television stations are geared heavily toward broadcasting delay and closing announcements for public elementary and secondary schools, we recommend using the web or Storm Phone services for the most accurate information about CCSU's closings or delays.


The Early Learning Program, Inc., a state-licensed child care facility, is available adjacent to campus at 1285 East Street for toilet-trained children from ages 3-5. The program operates during the CCSU academic year (September through May), with a summer session pending enrollment. Hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Attendance options include nursery school, part-time care, and full-time care. For information, call 860-827-7018.

Identification Cards

All students are required to obtain an identification card, called the Blue Chip Card, after registering for at least one class. The Blue Chip Card is required to take books out from Burritt Library and to access the microcomputer lab. The Blue Chip Card can be used as a debit card to make purchases from vending machines and public-use copiers, as well as at dining locations in the Student Center and Memorial Hall. There are many off-campus locations that accept the Blue Chip Card; additional information is available at the Card Office or on the Card Office website, Only the Blue Chip Card is accepted for copying, printing, and laundry services on-campus.

In order to use the card as a debit card, money must first be deposited on account. The Card Office and Cashier's Office accept cash, checks, money orders, and credit cards (except American Express). Credit card transactions can also be made over the phone by calling the Card Office (860-832-2140), as well as through CentralPipeline. Instructions on making a web deposit can be found at Cash can also be deposited instantly at six Card Value Centers, located at the library, Student Technology Center, Student Center (2), Barrows Hall, and Gallaudet Hall.

The Card Office is located in the campus Barnes and Noble bookstore, at the Student Center. During the semester, Card Office hours are Monday through Wednesday from 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Thursday from 9 a.m.-7 p.m., and Friday from 9 a.m.-4 p.m., with extended hours during the first two weeks of school. Lost cards should be reported to the Card Office during their regular hours of operation. When the Card Office is closed, lost cards should be reported to the police department (860-832-2375); a temporary ID will be issued and a "hold" will be placed to deactivate the account. Students can also put a "hold" on their cards at


All full- and part-time students must obtain decals for student parking by presenting their Blue Chip cards at the University Police or Card Office. Students may park in any campus lot or parking garage except those designated for administration, faculty, or staff. Vehicles without decals or improperly parked vehicles may be ticketed or towed at the owner's expense. You are urged to learn and follow the campus parking regulations. Additional information regarding parking regulations is available on the University Police webpage (

Permission for Photos of Students

Several offices of the University, principally the office of Institutional Advancement, provide information to news organizations about CCSU students' accomplishments and activities while they are at the University and at the time of graduation. Additionally, CCSU supplies photographs and other visual images of students and corollary text in response to requests from news organizations. As a regular practice, photographs of students, faculty, staff, and visitors to campus are used in publications produced by the University for recruitment and general information. Any student who does not wish to appear in any photos used for these purposes must notify the office of Institutional Advancement immediately upon matriculation. It is, however, not possible to practice these restraints with respect to the use of photography (where groups of students appear) of scenes, events, or classes in session.

Pet Policy

With the exception of animals used to aid persons with disabilities, animals used in University laboratories, and fish in residence hall rooms, animals are prohibited in campus buildings.

Police Services

Police: CCSU has maintained its own police department since 1976. With the same statutory mandate and authority conferred upon municipal police departments, the approximately 23 officers of the CCSU police department provide the campus community with a full range of protective and investigative police services around the clock. The police department is also a member of a regional mutual aid compact that ensures the availability of additional public safety resources to meet unusual needs. State-of-the-art emergency telephones, strategically located throughout the campus, are connected to the dispatch center at the headquarters of the CCSU police department. This center not only dispatches police officers but also monitors the University's growing system of security technology, including electronic access control systems, CCTV to monitor areas of the campus, and the mass notification systems. Additionally, E-911 service is now available through the city of New Britain Public Safety Dispatch Center. While routing police calls to the CCSU police, the dispatch center can direct fire and emergency medical services to any emergency on campus. For more information, please go to

Safety Escorts: Police officers or other employees of the CCSU police department provide either a ride or a walking escort for students who may be fearful of walking alone at night.

Emergency Notification Systems: Central Connecticut State University has an Emergency Notification System to alert the campus about situations that may pose a substantial threat to our community. The system will provide information via telephone, email, text messaging, and voice mail. This system requires student participation by providing contact information through the following website: Alerts will also be broadcast via Whelen outdoor loudspeakers.

Campus Security Report: Central Connecticut State University is proud of its efforts to maintain a safe and secure environment for students, employees, and visitors. CCSU is, therefore, pleased to make available its annual "security report." This report is a requirement of the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, a federal law requiring colleges and universities to disclose information about crime on and around their campuses. The report outlines the role and authority of the CCSU police department and institutional policies concerning the security of the campus, as well as policies concerning alcohol and drug use, crime prevention, the reporting of crimes, sexual assault, and other matters. It also cites statistics for the previous three years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus, in certain off-campus buildings owned or controlled by CCSU, and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from, the campus. This report may be viewed at or send a written request to: Central Connecticut State University, Police Department, P.O. Box 4010, New Britain, CT 06050-4010.

Education and Crime Prevention Programming: The CCSU Police Department provides various educational and crime prevention programs upon request.  These may be requested online at

Sample Programs available:

  • Campus Safety
  • Drug/Alcohol Abuse
  • Sexual Assault Awareness On campus
  • Domestic Violence
  • DUI Laws and Enforcement
  • K-9 Demonstration
  • Vandalism
  • Bicycle Safety
  • Date Rape Drugs and Other Drugs 

Residence Life

Information on University housing is forwarded shortly after official notification of acceptance from the office of Recruitment and Admissions. Applications for on-campus living, are considered in the order of acceptance. Housing is not guaranteed, it is based on a first come first serve basis. There are different types of application’s during different phases of the process. This depends on the timeframe each student is accepted, and the overall volume of student interest in housing for each semester. For these reasons, it is important you read the criteria and customized information that is sent especially for you.   Because of the demand for on-campus housing, students are urged to return housing applications and pay housing fees based on the instructions in each specific notification. Every application returned to our office is time and date stamped. See this link for all the details as to how housing placement works.

The office of Residence Life (860-832-1660), is in Mildred Barrows Hall Room 120, they assist students with matters related to University housing. The Student Handbook details residence hall policies, On-Campus Living information and Codes of Conduct at

Student Government

The full-time undergraduate students of CCSU make up the membership of the Student Government Association (SGA). The SGA Senate is the representative body of the SGA. Its members, the executive officers and senators of the SGA, are democratically elected by the full-time undergraduates of CCSU.

The SGA Senate is responsible for acting as the voice of the student body. It promotes student participation in various projects, committees, and organizations at the university and at state and national levels that help shape the university and education in Connecticut. The SGA Senate allocates the SGA portion of the Student Activity Fee, which is paid by all full-time undergraduate students and used to promote and fund student clubs, activities, services, and issues, which benefit students and their educational opportunities.

The SGA office is located in the Student Center (860-832-3740).

Student Organizations

Clubs and organizations provide students with opportunities for social interaction, recreation, leadership training, and enhancement of academic interests. For most students, involvement in organizations is an important aspect of their education. Information about clubs can be obtained at the Club Drive or on the website For more information on student organizations, contact the Department of Student Activities/Leadership Development. The following is a list of organizations.

Accounting Society, American Marketing Association, Art Club, Athletic Trainers Association, Biology Club, Caducean Club, Chemistry Club, Communication Club, Computer Club, Construction Management Club, Criminal Justice Club, Economics Club, Education Club, Exercise Science Club, Finance Association, Geography & Tourism Club, History Club, International Association of Business Communicators, Management Information Systems Club, Mathematics Club, Music Educators National Conference (MENC), Physical Education & Health Fitness Club, Physics & Earth Sciences Club, Psychology Club, Social Work Club, World Business Affairs Club

Cultural and International
Africana Student Organization, Albanian Student Organization, Asian Pop Culture Club, Black Student Union, Chinese Student Association, CIAO-Central's Italian American Organization, French Club, International Relations Club, Japanese American Cultural Club, Latin American Student Organization (LASO), Mosaic Center Committee, Muslim Student Association, NAACP-CCSU Chapter, Polish Club, PRIDE, South Asian Student Association, Spanish Club, United Caribbean Club, Wambli Tokoda-Native American Club

Fraternities and Sororities
Hermandad Sigma Iota Alpha Sorority, Lambda Alpha Upsilon Fraternity, Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority, Lambda Theta Phi Fraternity, Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Phi Delta Theta Fraternity, Phi Sigma Sigma Sorority

Central Activities Network, Graduate Student Association, Inter-Greek Council, Inter Residence Council, Media Board, Senior Class Committee, Student Government Association, Student Union Board of Governors

Honors and Professional
*Alpha Lambda Delta (first year students), *Alpha Mu Gamma (foreign language), American Choral Directors Association, American Society of Civil Engineers, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Beta Beta Beta (biology), *Delta Mu Delta (business), *Delta Pi Epsilon (business education), *Epsilon Pi Tau (industrial arts & vocational-industrial education), *Eta Kappa Nu (engineering), *Gamma Theta Upsilon (geography), Golden Key International Honor Society, *Kappa Delta Pi (education), National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI), National Association of Industrial Technology, NSBE (National Society of Black Engineers), *Omicron Delta Epsilon (international economics), *Phi Alpha Theta (history), *Pi Sigma Alpha (political science), *Psi Chi (psychology), Society of Automotive Engineers: Formula, Society of Manufacturing Engineers, Technology Education Collegiate Association (TECA), *Upsilon Pi Epsilon (computer science)

*These organizations are adjunct to University departments and are not advised by the Department of Student Activities/Leadership Development (SA/LD). Contact the department chairperson for more information.

Media and Publications
Helix (literary magazine), Off-Center Magazine, The Recorder (newspaper), WFCS FM-107.7 (radio)

A Cappella Society, Central Capoeira Club, Central Connecticut Circus Arts Club, Club Hip Hop, COLADA (Central Organization of Latin American Dance Awareness), DanCentral, Dance Club, Ebony Choral Ensemble, Pep Squad, Theatre Unlimited

Christian Students at Central (CSAC), Elohim Bible Study Group, Hillel Jewish Student Organization, Newman Club, Revival

Special Interest
Best Buddies, Central Car Club, Central Gaming Group, College Democrats, College Republicans, Engineers without Borders, Friends of Earth, Habitat for Humanity, Human Powered Vehicle Club, Progressive Student Alliance, Social Work Club, Society of Paranormal Investigations, Veterans Appreciation Organization (VAO), WIN-Woman Involved Now, Youth for Socialist Action

Sports and Recreation
Aikido Club, Central Disc Club, Central Triathlon Club, Chess Club, Equestrian Club, Fencing Club, Ice Hockey Club, Karate Club, Lacrosse Club, Lady Hooligans Women's Rugby, Men's Rugby Club, Paintball Club, Riflery & Marksmanship Club, Volleyball Club

University Health Service

The University Health Service (UHS) provides medical services by appointment for the maintenance of health and the evaluation and treatment of illnesses and injuries to all students.

Many services are provided at no cost to patients. These include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Evaluation and treatment of illnesses and injuries, including referrals to appropriate specialty consultants as needed;
  • Certain laboratory tests for blood sugar or urine evaluations;
  • Evaluation of sexually transmitted diseases; and
  • A health education resource center for information on medical issues and concerns.

Treatments requiring a nominal fee include:

  • Additional laboratory and diagnostic evaluations;
  • Pregnancy testing and referral;
  • Immunizations required for school, employment or travel; and
  • Low cost prescriptions - in-house pharmacy for medications ordered by the physician.

Full-time students are required to submit a completed health form (medical history, physical exam, and up-to-date immunization record) one week prior to registration at the University. Part-time students are required by the University to have up-to-date immunization records for measles and rubella consistent with state of Connecticut Department of Public Health guidelines. Failure to submit the required medical information may result in the withholding of registration schedules, grades, or housing assignments until the obligations have been met. The health form is available online at (click on "forms") in the University Health Service, Marcus White Annex (860-832-1925).

Students do not need to have elected the University insurance plan to be seen as a patient in the University Health Service.

The University Health Service is open Monday-Thursday from 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. and Friday from 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m. For more information, visit

Health Insurance
Health insurance coverage (accident and sickness) is mandatory for all full-time students. Students can purchase the sickness insurance plan through the University or elect alternative coverage through an outside carrier. The University provides accident insurance coverage for all full-time students; the premium is included in the general fee on the tuition bill. This accident coverage is not the primary insurance carrier unless there is no other insurance held by the student. A combined sickness/accident policy is available for part-time students, as well as their dependents. Brochures are available at the Enrollment Center/Registrar's Office and UHS. For information regarding the details of the policy, please check the web site at

Medical Excuse Policy
The University Health Service will forward a medical excuse to a student's professors only in those cases in which a student was seen in UHS and the medical recovery or contagiousness of the patient/student warrants an absence from classes.

Those students who are out of class for more than five days and who have not been seen as patients in the UHS for the evaluation of their illness should direct the notification of their absences from their physicians to the office of Student Affairs. The verification of their absences will be relayed to the appropriate professors.

Voter Registration

Regardless of which town in Connecticut is the place of residence, voter registration can be done on campus. Students can register to vote in the Student Activities office within the Student Center. Students with disabilities may register as voters at Student Disability Services in Copernicus, Room 241. All students are urged to take advantage of this convenient service and exercise their rights and duties as citizens by becoming registered voters.

powered by finalsite