ENGINEERING: ASSISTANT PROFESSOR (MECHANICAL) [#C14-031]
Central Connecticut State University’s Engineering Department invites applications for a full-time tenure-track position beginning Fall 2014. This position is open at the Assistant professor level; however, applicants with exceptional qualifications and teaching experience may be considered at the Associate Professor level.
The successful candidate is expected to:
- Develop and teach a variety of mechanical engineering and engineering technology courses;
- Independently develop and run associated hands-on laboratory exercises;
- Mentor undergraduate and graduate student research in the Engineering and Engineering Technology programs;
- Actively engage in scholarly activity;
- Develop and maintain an applied research agenda;
- Participate in assessment activities for all EAC of ABET and ETAC of ABET accredited programs; and,
- Participate in service activities for the University, local community and professional organizations.
- Candidates are expected to be committed to multiculturalism and working with a diverse student body.
- B.S. in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering;
- Ph.D. in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering or closely related field by the date of appointment;
- Exceptional background and experience in instrumentation, sensors, data acquisition, and signal processing;
- Two years of relevant full-time industrial experience in the related areas; and,
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Teaching experience in ABET accredited Mechanical and/or Manufacturing Engineering, or Engineering Technology programs;
- Expertise and experience to teach a broad range of mechanical engineering and engineering technology courses, including but not limited to: mechanics, thermo-fluid sciences, numerical analysis and simulations, control systems;
- Demonstrated record of outstanding teaching, scholarly activities, advising, service, and experience in developing and/or maintaining laboratories;
- Experience working with industry and both undergraduate and graduate students in applied research with record of successful external funding; and,
- A Professional Engineering (P.E.) license
The University: CCSU is one of four state universities with the Board of Regents for Higher Education Connecticut State Colleges & Universities. Excellent professors and a wide array of academic programs prepare students for success in whatever field they choose. CCSU’s motto is more than a slogan; it articulates the University’s commitment to students: “Start with a dream. Finish with a future.” The Princeton Review selected CCSU as one of "The Best Northeastern Colleges." CCSU serves approximately 12,200 students - 9,500 undergraduates, and 2,700 graduates. CCSU is richly diverse: more than 20 percent of students are of traditional minority heritage. Visit our web site at http://www.ccsu.edu/.
The Community: CCSU is located in New Britain, a city of some 70,000, within a 10-minute drive to the state capital in Hartford. New Britain is home to the nationally recognized New Britain Museum of American Arts and offers a range of culture opportunities, including the New Britain Symphony Orchestra, the New Britain Rock Cats (Double A professional baseball), two theatres, and an extensive park system. The University is approximately two hours (by car) from both Boston and New York City.
Application & Appointment: For full consideration, applications must be received by January 21, 2014. Salary and rank are commensurate with education and experience. To begin the application process, click on the Apply Now button and electronically submit the following in a single file and in the order given below:
- Letter of interest addressing all qualifications for the position;
- Current curriculum vitae’
- Concise statements of teaching philosophy and research interests (two pages maximum);
- Names of three current professional references with mail and email addresses, and phone numbers; and,
- Unofficial transcripts.
- ABD candidates, include a letter from thesis advisor stating anticipated date of completion.
Please redact any personally identifiable information (e.g., Social Security Number) on any documents submitted.
For more information, contact Dr. Nidal Al-Masoud, Search Committee Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CCSU is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Members of all underrepresented groups, women, veterans and persons with disabilities are invited and encouraged to apply.