Cellular Phone Policy
Purpose: To establish guidelines for the issuance and use of cellular telephones by University employees
Cellular telephones and service will be provided if:
- Necessary for public health and safety.
- Necessary for University business.
University Telecommunications Office Responsibilities
- Each cellular telephone is assigned to one individual and they are responsible for safeguarding the equipment and controlling its use.
- A log is maintained for the purposes of identifying the cellular telephone number, the responsible individual as well as monthly line and usage charges.
- Activation of cellular service must be requested through the contracted vendor.
- Service is billed monthly through the contracted vendor.
- Any cancellations of service due to theft must be reported to the contracted vendor.
Cellular telephones are issued to individual employees to support the effective performance of their jobs. They are intended for business purposes only.
- The individual to whom a cellular telephone is assigned is responsible for safeguarding the equipment and controlling its use.
- The theft of equipment should be reported within 24 hours to the CCSU Police Department (832-2375). If the theft is discovered outside of normal business hours, Nextel Customer Service (1-800-390-7545) should be notified immediately to deactivate the service and the University Telecommunications Department (832-2550) must be notified immediately.
- The cellular telephone user is responsible for coordinating any needed repair services with Nextel.
- In the interest of safety, employees using cellular telephones are expected to exercise appropriate care and caution if used in a moving motor vehicle. Employees are expected to avoid the use of the equipment under any circumstances where such use might create or appear to create a hazard.
- The use of state-owned telephone equipment is reserved primarily for official State business. However, incoming calls, emergency notifications, and other calls of minimal duration and frequency, which cannot reasonably be made at another time, are permitted. If under any circumstances costs are incurred for personal use of cellular service, such costs must be reimbursed to the University. It is the responsibility of the employee to note all such calls on the monthly bill and return it with reimbursement to the University Telecommunications Department.
- The University Telecommunications Department must be notified of all changes to assigned telephones. Cellular telephones may be reassigned and remain within the department if the individual to whom the telephone was originally assigned is no longer associated with a department.
- The user must verify the accuracy of each monthly bill and certify the usage as appropriate. Any discrepancies must be reported to the University Telecommunications Department. Telephone usage is subject to audit.