Driver's License Checklist
You will need:
- To be in valid/lawful F or J visa status
- An authorization letter from CIE. Make your request at the Front Desk (phone: 832-2040). (The DMV will not accept photocopies of this letter or letters not including the CIE embossed seal.)
- A copy of your CCSU course registration or transcript showing current full time enrollment.
- Two forms of ID required
- As of February 1, 2005 a U.S. Social Security Number (SSN) is required. If you do not have one, you must apply for one anyway, even though employment is the only reason a SSN is issued. If you have not secured employment, you must still apply and receive a Denial Letter from the Social Security Administration. This letter will be used as part of your application to the DMV.
- Your passport, I-94 and I-20 or DS-2019 (with a minimum of 6 months before expiration) will meet the ID criteria from the Primary List.
- The letter from CIE will meet the ID criteria from the Secondary List in conjunction with your SSN or Denial Letter.
- Completed DMV application
- Properly registered and insured vehicle appropriate for road test. Daily rentals are not allowed on road tests.
- Motor Vehicle Registration Certificate for the vehicle.
- Connecticut Insurance Card.
- The fee for your license, varies, depending on the years of license validity. Credit Cards are not accepted!
Accepted forms of ID:
- Two Forms of ID required.
- Valid Passport.
- With an I-551 red stamp
- American Visa
- Valid Immigration Documents.
Options for scheduling an appointment:
- By Mail: Complete Driver Exam Appointment Application (form LA1-F) and send to DMV with appropriate fee.
- In Person: Visit any DMV Branch or Satellite Office (see attached directions) and submit a completed Driver Exam Appointment Application (form LA1-F) and appropriate testing fee.
- Appointments may NOT be scheduled by phone
- Any person can schedule an appointment for another individual. No documentation is required when scheduling an appointment.
- FEE IS NON-REFUNDABLE AND PAYABLE BY CASH, CHECK OR MONEY ORDER TO DMV.
Day of Appointment
The test to receive your license is in three parts. The first part is the eye test, the second part is the law test (16 question written test, which you have to pass at least 12), and the third part is the road test. If you fail one, you will not be permitted to move to the next.
DMV Hours of Operation:
|Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday
||8 AM to 4:00PM
||8 AM to 6:30PM
||8 AM to 12:30 PM
New Britain Office, 85 North Mountain Road, New Britain, CT 06053
Wethersfield Office, 60 State Street, Wethersfield, CT 06109