Who We Are
The Central Connecticut Student Writing Project (CCSWP) is a three week summer writing institute. The first week focuses on poetry, the next two on creative writing. Students may attend one or both programs. CCSWP is designed for students in grades 4-12 and adults who have a passion for creative writing. The institute is designed to help students create authentic, organic, dynamic narratives that come from within. When we say that we teach students to write from the inside out, we mean that we do not force our students into any formulas or templates. Instead, we give students the tools necessary discover the stories and poems within themselves, and help them find their authorial voices.
What we offer
A comprehensive curriculum designed by writers and teachers that focuses on organic
writing development. This curriculum also address several of the new Common Core writing
and reading standards for grades 4-12.
A staff of certified teachers who have all taken part in the four-week Central Connecticut Writing Project summer institute (a branch of the National Writing Project)
A chance for students to become a part of a growing community of student writers from throughout Central Connecticut.
An opportunity to be published online and in print.
In addition to the core ISI, we offer individualized professional development programs on site to schools throughout our service area. Contact our directors for details.
Findings from teachers who participated in our annual CCWP Invitational Summer Institute
- 96% reported that they made significant changes in their teaching of writing as a result of participating in CCWP activities.
- Teachers reported being more prepared and comfortable with teaching (33% before CCWP, 100% after CCWP).
- Teachers felt confident as writers (55% before CCWP, 87% after CCWP)
- 81% reported that they have participated in leadership activities in their district after CCWP involvement.
- 95% reported that they have facilitated professional development on teaching writing either in their local districts, state, regional, or national conferences.
A Brief History of CCWP
The first institute opened in the summer of 2007. The 2013 institute will be our 7th.
140 students have taken part in CCWP institutes in New Britain, East Hartford, and Deep River, CT.
The CCWP has published 6 anthologies. Our latest and future anthologies will all be professionally printed and bound paperbacks.
The CCWP has welcomed students from Hartford, East Hartford, New Hartford, New Britain, Glastonbury, North Granby, Simsbury, Suffield, Enfield, Harwinton, East Lyme, Old Lyme, Deep River, North Haven, Haddam, Avon, West Hartford, Manchester, Marlborough, Farmington, Windsor, Rocky Hill, Barkhamstead, Cheshire, Newington, New Jersey, Puerto Rico, and South Korea