Director, William J. Mann
Coordinator, Nicole McCarter
The LGBT Center provides a welcoming, creatively inspiring, and safe space for the CCSU LGBT community. Our goal is to provide community, connections, resources and student support services for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex and ally student population. The Center presents campus programming of interest to LGBT students; offers community-building and networking opportunities; provides information and referral services; and maintains a specialized literary and periodical library. We also work closely with the Burritt Library’s extensive GLBTQ Collection. In addition, the Center also organizes and facilitates diversity training and educational sessions for the campus community on the topic of LGBT inclusion, resources and services unique to this community.
The LGBT celebrated its opening in the fall of 2009. It was created through the efforts of the One in Ten Committee, a farsighted group composed of students, faculty and staff. The Center originated from a conversation about the need for a welcoming and supportive safe space for LGBT students on campus. In 2019, the Center will mark ten years of service to the CCSU community.
How to find us?
We are located at the very top of the Student Center. Take a walk up the stairs or ride the elevator to the 3rd floor "living room" area. We are room numbers 304-305.
The LGBT Center is for everyone!
Whether you identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans*, queer, intersex or ally, or whether you are someone looking to better understand LGBT issues, stop by! There are lots of reasons to visit us:
- You want to get involved with the Center’s activities.
- You want to learn more about LGBT life and issues.
- You want to make new friends.
- You are looking for support or information about “coming out.”
- You want to learn what supports are available to LGBT people.
- You have a family member or friend who identifies as LGBT and you want to learn the best ways to support them.
- You are doing research on an LGBT-related topic for a class paper.
- You have an idea for an event or a group related to LGBT issues or gender identity and expression.
- You are looking for a safe, affirming place to hang out, talk or do your homework.
- You are looking for LGBT-friendly campus and community resources, such as doctors, counselors, places of worship, coaches and faculty.
The LGBT Center is here for you however you want to use it.
Free condoms, dental dams, Non-latex F/C condoms, and lubricants are available at the Center!
Safe Sex is important whether you have opposite or same sex partners.
Our LGBT center staff are here to answer your basic safe-sex questions regarding these items.
24 hr Crisis Service links
CCSU Campus Police:
The Trevor Project
(LGBT Suicide Prevention):
1-866-488-7386 / 1-866-4-u-Trevor
Nat'l Suicide Prevention LifeLine:
GLBT Nat'l Help Center Hotline:
GBLT Youth Support Talk-line:
Gay & Transgender Hate Crime Hotline:
CT Sexual Assault Crisis Services
You can also talk to our on campus Safe Zone Members to find support and information.
Please follow-up with the CCSU
Counseling & Wellness Center
for ongoing support: (860) 832-1945
Marcus White Hall, Room 205