Study Abroad - Non-Sponsored Programs

Center for International Education

Study Abroad


Schedule Your Appointment with CIE Study Abroad Team

Contact Information

Henry Barnard Hall, Room 406
860.832.2047 (fax)

Zongxiang Mei

International Education Coordinator

Chaihyung Christine Park

University Assistant

Carmetta Williams

Secretary 2

For general questions, please email us at

Participation in Programs Not Sponsored by CCSU

There are many external study abroad programs available. If you plan to participate in a program that is not sponsored by CCSU, you will be required to take a leave of absence from the university through the Office of the Registrar and follow the guidelines.

CIE would be happy to work with you about the visa, travel logistics, intercultural communication, and so on. For the credit, please follow the Office of the Registrar to ensure your credit transfer.

To participate in a non-sponsored program you must take the following steps:

  • complete a Leave of Absence form in the Office of the Registrar prior to your departure;

  • inform yourself of the Registrar’s policies and procedures regarding the transfer of credit;

  • undertake all arrangements pertaining to your study abroad; and

  • register online for CCSU courses prior to your return from your Leave of Absence.

To apply for credit for a non-sponsored program, you must complete and submit the Request for Transfer Credit form, available from the Registrar’s Office and on line at their Web site. All credit for study abroad must be pre-approved by the Registrar prior to your departure and must follow the guidelines that are noted in the CCSU course catalog or online. Only undergraduate grades of C- or better are eligible for transfer.