Welcome to the Department of Sociology
The Mission and Vision of the Sociology Program
The Department of Sociology prepares students to become thoughtful, engaged, and responsible citizens in an interdependent world. Students are provided with a firm understanding of the complex social structures and processes that connect their private lives and experiences to their present society as well as to the multi-varied characteristics of a global society. More specifically, the mission of the department is to foster logical and analytical reasoning, social scientific inquiry, a socio/historical consciousness, and an understanding of the relationship between social inequality and matters of social justice.
The integrating principle underlying the curriculum is the linkage between theory, methods, and specific areas of sociological inquiry. This process involves developing the capacities for conceptualizing problems, locating them within general sociological paradigms, and evaluating solutions based on empirical analysis, established research, and the diverse needs, interests, and identities of affected communities.
Objectives of the BA Program in Sociology
• Apply a sociological perspective which demonstrates an understanding of the link
between private troubles and public issues; the preeminence of social structures and
their influence; and the value of empirical analysis.
• Demonstrate foundational research and writing skills, including effective use of vocabulary, organization, and references to support a clear sociologically-informed thesis.
• Ability to develop well-organized and plausible arguments, demonstrating a sound knowledge of sociological concepts.
• Perform sociological research by locating, analyzing, synthesizing, and interpreting sociologically relevant data to address research questions and draw evidenced-based conclusions.
• Communicate findings from sociological research orally and writing in a professional context.