Student Disability Services


Medical Single Policy

Downloadable Version
Medical Single Application Form

Central Connecticut State University is committed to the support of students with disabilities. There are a limited number of medical single rooms available for students with medical, psychological, psychiatric, mobility, visual or hearing impairment related conditions, whose conditions prohibit the student from living with a roommate.  Priority will be given to individuals who qualify under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and Connecticut law. All disabilities must be documented on by a licensed provider with expertise in the area of diagnosis; click here for form.

Please note that providing the university with medical information does not guarantee a special housing accommodation and that the desire to have a quiet, undisturbed place to study, for example, is insufficient to warrant a special housing accommodation.

In order to determine eligibility, the student must meet and speak with a specialist at the Student Disability Services (SDS) and provide an explanation with examples of how the disabling condition impacts their daily life impacting their ability to live in standard housing.  Please be advised that medical single rooms are reserved for individuals who document substantial needs and for whom living with a roommate is not viable.

A recommendation from Student Disability Services for the Accommodation of a Medical Single room is subject to renewal each academic year as needed unless waived by your SDS Specialist. Please make sure that your medical/mental health provider completes the Disability Verification Form.

The Student Disability Services Specialist will review your documentation to determine whether you are eligible to receive a Medical Single Room Accommodation.  Information about the diagnosis and treatment of your condition remains confidential.

The following documents are not considered acceptable forms of documentation if submitted alone:

  1. Handwritten patient records or notes from patient charts.
  2. Diagnoses on prescription pads.
  3. Self-evaluation found on the internet or in any print publication.
  4. Research articles.
  5. Correspondence from healthcare providers not directly addressed to Central Connecticut State University Student Disability Services.

In order to better serve you, the documentation needs to be submitted by the following dates for priority registration:


While applications submitted after these dates will be accepted and considered, we cannot guarantee that CCSU will be able to meet late applicants’ accommodation needs.

Appeal/Grievance Process


Any student who disagrees with the academic accommodation(s) or other services that have been determined should first speak to the Director of Student Disability Service (SDS).  The student should express his/her concerns and be prepared to offer alternative solutions.  If after consulting with the SDS Director the student is still not satisfied regarding the proposed accommodation(s) or the provision of accommodation(s), the student should submit a detailed, written appeal addressed to the Director within 10 days of the decision.   A meeting will then be arranged between the student and the direct supervisor of the SDS Director.  If the student is still not satisfied with the proposed or provided accommodation(s), the written appeal will be reviewed by the Vice President of Student Affairs for a resolution.  If at this time, the student remains dissatisfied with the decision, he/she may file a formal grievance.  The University's Policy Statement Section 35.1067, on the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Policy Statement, includes the process for filing a formal grievance.

Please remember that the University has an obligation to provide reasonable and appropriate accommodations to ensure that otherwise qualified students with disabilities have access to all University programs, services and activities.  However, if the University can provide an accommodation that is equally as effective as the one requested, the University is not required to provide the requested accommodation.


It is the practice of SDS that issues concerning accommodation(s) of students with disabilities in academic and other programs/activities be resolved between the student requesting the accommodation and the University employee representing the department within which the academic program or service is located. Students should then report the grievance to the SDS coordinator. If the student believes that all efforts to resolve the complaint have proven unsuccessful, he/she may file a formal grievance. Section 35.1067 includes the process for filing a formal grievance.

For confidential information on ADA compliance, please contact the ADA’s Informational Line to speak with an ADA specialist at: 800-514-0301 (Voice) and 800-514-0383 (TTY)

Hours: M-W, F 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m., and Th 12:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. (Eastern Time); 24 hours a day to order publications by mail