AboutAcademicsAdmissionsAlumni and FriendsAthleticsCampus Life
Home >
_Content_ > Cinema Studies > Advising FAQs
page tools :

Advising FAQs for the Cinema Studies minor

As is the case with a number of programs at CCSU, the Cinema Studies program includes courses that are listed with different majors As a general rule, students may not double count course credits in their majors and their minor.

A student may wonder, for example:

    • Does Comm 330 count toward my Communication major or my Cinema Studies minor?
    • Does History 476 count toward my major in History or my minor in Cinema?
    • Does English 465 count toward English or Cinema?

In every case, you will make this decision in consultation with your advisor. You can then designate with the registrar how you want the course to count. In most cases, to do this you need to fill out the registrar’s form titled Questions Regarding Degree Evaluation. Here you can designate how you want your course to count.

With required courses, there is also leeway about how you want the course to fit into your curriculum. If you complete Comm 330 or Comm 220 for the Communication major, then those courses cannot count as credits for the Cinema Studies minor, but we would consider the spirit of the requirement fulfilled. For example, if Comm 330 were used for your Comm major, then another production class is not required for the minor, but you would still need to complete 18 credits. Because Comm 330 is required for the minor, you would need to fill out the registrar’s Request for Course Substitution form, with any other elective for Cinema Studies substituted for Comm 330. Alternately, if approved by your advisor, you may be able to count Comm 330 for your minor, and arrange a substitute for the major. This form requires some signatures and you should only fill it out in consultation with your advisor.

As a general rule, just remember that if you count a course toward your major, then you need to substitute another course for the minor. If, on the other hand, you count the course toward your minor, then you will need to arrange appropriate substitute credits for the major.

The two forms discussed here are available from the Registrar. Under the CCSU Registrar’s main page, there is a link for Undergraduate Forms. Under the list of forms, you will find the form  Questions Regarding Degree Evaluation and another named Request for Course Substitution.

email page print page small type large type large type
powered by finalsite