Graduate Catalog 2010-12

Registration and Status

A student admitted to a graduate program at Central Connecticut State University may attend the University full time (9-15 credits) or part time (1-8) credits. Graduate students are permitted to change from full-time to part-time status (and vice versa) on a semester-by-semester basis while they complete degree requirements. Full-time students who plan to change their status must contact the Registrar's Office to avoid billing problems.

Graduate students should be registered every fall and spring semester. During fall and spring semesters in which no course work is taken, matriculated graduate students involved in completing Theses (Plan A), Comprehensive Examinations (Plan B), or Special Projects (Plan C or E) must pay a Continuing Registration Fee of $40. This allows students continued access to computer facilities, the library, parking and the faculty.

A matriculated graduate student who fails to pay the Continuing Registration Fee for the Capstone Plan A, B, C, or E will be withdrawn and lose his/her matriculation status. Matriculated graduate students withdrawn for this reason will have to re-apply and pay a Re-enrollment Fee of $50 to regain their matriculation. They will also need to pay the $40 Continuing Registration Fee for the semester of re-enrollment. The length of time to obtain a graduate degree will remain at six years from initial acceptance or be based on the first course(s) listed on the official planned program of study.

The cost of graduate study at Central Connecticut State University depends on whether the student registers full time or part time. In addition, costs may vary depending on Connecticut residency and on certain other categories of attendance. Full-time graduate students who receive appointments as graduate assistants pay tuition but receive a waiver for certain other fees.


Connecticut Resident Status

Connecticut resident status is defined by Public Act 74-474 as explained in the Application for Graduate Study. To request a change of resident status, the student must contact the University's Registrar and supply all necessary documentation. Until such time as a determination of Connecticut residency can be made, the applicant will be classified as an out-of-state resident. Failure of any student to disclose fully and accurately the facts related to residence in the state may result in dismissal from graduate study.


New England Regional Student Program

Central Connecticut State University is a participant in the New England Regional Student Program. This arrangement offers residents of the other New England states the opportunity to enroll at Central Connecticut State University for programs unavailable in their home states at the Connecticut resident tuition and state university fee rate plus a surcharge. Other fees are also required. Similarly, state residents may avail themselves of programs offered by schools in other New England states not available at public institutions within Connecticut.

For further information about the programs available through the New England Regional Student Program contact the New England Board of Higher Education, 45 Temple Place, Boston, MA 02111 617-357-9620; website: contact the Graduate Recruitment and Admissions Office, Barnard Hall, Room 102, at 860-832-2350.


Full-Time Student Status

A graduate student who registers for nine credits or more is considered a full-time student for tuition purposes.

Full-time graduate students are charged the tuition and fees established by the Board of Trustees of the Connecticut State University. New students receive information on their acceptance letters and register online through CentralPipeline or in the Registrar's Office. Continuing full-time students receive information by email about registration and related procedures conducted by the University Registrar.

Full-time students who fall below the nine credit minimum course load, required to maintain full-time status, must change their status to part-time. Part-time charges will replace full-time charges and any money that has been paid will be transferred to the new charges. Any excess payment will be refunded according to University refund policies. Please note that those enrolling as full-time students may not withdraw from the University as part-time students during the first week of University-wide classes, without incurring the 40% penalty.

Course Credit Overloads for Full-Time Graduate Students
A typical study program for a full-time graduate student at CCSU is considered to be 9-15 credits of academic work per semester. A full-time graduate student who wishes to register for 16-18 credits must receive written authorization from the Dean, School of Graduate Studies. Authorization for credit overloads during winter and summer sessions must also be obtained from the Dean. Credit Overload forms are provided by the University Registrar or in Graduate Studies.

Students who wish to register for more than 18 credits should apply in writing to the Dean of Graduate Studies at least one week prior to registration for the semester in which the additional course credits are to be taken.  Applications for Over 18 Credits are available on the Registrar’s website at In addition to the applicable tuition/required fees, full-time students registering for more than 18 credits will be assessed appropriate excess per credit fees for each credit beyond 18. These fees are non-refundable and will not be deleted if at a later time the total credits number fewer than 19.


Part-Time Student Status

A student who enrolls in eight or fewer credits is considered a part-time student. Part-time students must register online or in the Registrar's Office and pay fees online or in the Bursar's Office. Continuing students who have not filed a planned program will need to consult with a faculty advisor prior to registration to obtain an alternate pin number. Newly accepted students do not require an alternate pin number for the first semester of enrollment.

Part-time graduate students are charged a fixed rate per credit. Part-time students are also charged a $62 Registration Fee which gives them access to various University services and facilities, including the Student Center, the University library and student parking.


Summer and Winter Sessions

Summer and Winter Session registration is conducted by the Registrar's Office for all graduate students. The Summer Session Bulletin and the Winter Session Bulletin are available online or in the Registrar's Office. Summer and Winter Session fees are the same as part-time fees during regular academic semesters. The University permits a maximum registration of seven credits during each five-week Summer Session. During Winter Session, students may enroll in up to four credits of academic course work.

powered by finalsite