Department of Nursing
Welcome to the Department of Nursing at Central Connecticut State University!
We currently offer two programs leading to a Bachelor of Science in Nursing:
- A 4-year traditional BSN curriculum for those students with no prior degree
- An RN/BSN program for those registered nurses wishing to pursue a baccalaureate.
Upon completion of these programs, graduates are expected to be professionally competent generalists in nursing who recognize the need for continued personal and professional development throughout life and possess the educational background for post-baccalaureate study in Nursing. The CCSU Nursing Program is fully accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE), a branch of the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN), through 2016.
The BSN program received approval from the Department of Higher Education and the Department of Public Health in June 2008. The program is designed to run as a 4-year curriculum with the first year of study devoted to pre-nursing coursework. Admission to the nursing major occurs in spring of the student’s first year. Please note that this is not an accelerated program. We are committed to providing a rigorous curriculum that will graduate students who are ready to sit for the National Council of Licensing Exam for RNs. Students who complete our program will be prepared as professional nurses with strong critical thinking skills, cultural competency, and knowledge of emerging technologies in health care.
Our curriculum is based on the Essentials of Baccalaureate Education set forth by the AACN and highlights courses in social justice and genetics. We have a newly renovated state of the art nursing learning center with high-fidelity simulation mannequins. Our curriculum also has a service learning component and encourages in students an appreciation for global diversity.
Our faculty is outstanding and involved in service and research at the local and state level. We work collaboratively with other departments in the School of Education and Professional Studies as well as across campus. We are committed to offering a dynamic curriculum that engages the students in learning, exposes them to the complexities of clients’ and families’ lives, and immerses them in settings that will prepare them to practice in a complex and challenging health care environment.
ATTENTION CCSU STUDENTS (ONLY): We are now accepting Change of Majors Applications.
A change of major to pre-Nursing for matriculated CCSU students require:
- A completed change of major request form that will be available on November 1st in the Nursing Department and will be due back by December 1st for fall acceptance consideration. Decisions are based on student’s academic record, related criteria, and space available. Decisions will be made in January, following posting of the fall semester academic grades. Students must have completed one full semester of course work at CCSU prior to applying.
- A cumulative GPA of 3.00 or better
- A grade of "C" or better in any required science courses, if completed.
- A grade of “C+” or higher in CHEM 150/161/162: General Chemistry I or its equivalent, if completed.
- A grade of "B-" or better in any nursing course, if completed
If you are eligible and wish to apply, please print the application below, complete it, and return it to the department of nursing office (HB324) by December 1st, 2013.
Change of Major application