AboutAcademicsAdmissionsAlumni and FriendsAthleticsCampus Life
page tools :

Frequently Asked Questions

Using your Telephone Long Distance Calling
Using your Fax Machine Reporting Problems
Voice Mail Stolen/Vandalized Phones
Telecom Service Requests  Harassing Phone Calls

Using Your Telephone
 Back to top

1. Lift Handset; hear dial tone
2. Dial Telephone Number

To reach another university extension - dial the 5-digit extension number (last 5 digits of telephone number)

To reach a telephone number off-campus - dial "9" plus the telephone number. (Local calls in a different area code should be dialed with the area code plus the telephone number; do not dial “1” before the area code. Intrastate and interstate long distance calls should be dialed with “1” plus the area code plus the telephone number. Direct dialed international calls should be dialed with “011” plus the country code plus the city code plus the telephone number.)

If a telephone is restricted to a specific calling area (local, campus only, etc.), the telephone system will prompt you to enter an authorization code (or personal identification number for students) with three quick beeps. At that point, enter the code and the call will be processed.

To reach the campus operator - dial "0"

To reach an outside operator - dial "9" plus "0"

To place a calling card call - dial "9" plus "0" plus the telephone number. Enter calling card number as directed.

For EMERGENCIES ONLY - dial "911"

For questions or help with your telephone or voice mailbox - dial "611" (CSU Customer Support Center)

The University's carrier for local and in-state long distance calls is AT&T.

The University's carrier for direct dial interstate and international calls is MCI.

The University's carrier for operator assisted calls is Sprint.

Carriers other than those listed above may be used with telephone calling cards by dialing the appropriate long distance carrier access code. (Dialing instructions and access codes may be printed on the calling card.)

Collect and third party calls billed to any university telephone number (including student numbers) are not allowed.

Calls to 900 numbers are generally not allowed. However, exceptions may be made to allow access to certain services such as computer help lines. Requests to allow access to specific 900 numbers must be submitted on a Telecommunications Service Request. The name of the 900 service and the per minute cost of the number must be supplied with the request.
Using Your Fax Machine
 Back to top

For all numbers dialed from an unrestricted fax machine (no authorization code required), follow the above dialing procedures.

For numbers dialed from a restricted fax machine (an authorization code is required), use the following dialing procedure:

1. Enter "9" plus the telephone number - include "1" plus the area code for in-state and interstate long distance numbers; "011" for direct dial international numbers
2. Enter 4 pauses (a fax machine function)
3. Enter the authorization code
4. Press "start" or "dial" on the fax machine to activate the dialing sequence
5. Call will be processed
Voice Mail
 Back to top

Voice mail is provided to all faculty and administrative staff. It is the responsibility of the owner of the voice mailbox to initialize their mailbox when it is assigned and to keep it secure. Mailbox initialization consists minimally of recording the mailbox owner's name and changing the default password; a system tutorial steps the user through this process.

To access the voice mail system and the system tutorial, dial the main voice mail number for the campus and follow the system prompts. Detailed instructions for mailbox initialization, or any other voice mail function, can be obtained by contacting the CSU Customer Support Center at x611.

Voice Mail System From on campus  - 22222
Main Number From off campus - 860-832-2222

Voice mail passwords are to be kept confidential. If a password is suspected of being compromised, it should be changed immediately. Additionally, if a password is forgotten, the CSU Customer Support Center should be contacted to reset the password. For identification purposes, the Customer Support Center staff will request the banner ID number of the person to whom the mailbox is assigned. If this information is not provided, the password may not be changed over the phone - a Telecommunications Service Request will be required to change it. 

Telecommunications Service Requests
 Back to top

Service requests are for planned changes and include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Changes to telephone set feature configurations
  • Change to type of telephone set
  • Additions or moves of existing telephones
  • Changes to voice mailboxes
  • New voice mailboxes
  • Directory name changes
  • Requests for new lines
  • Changes in restriction levels (determines where calls can be placed to)

All requests for service related to the CSU telecommunications system are made by completing a Telecommunications Service Request (TSR) form which can be obtained from this link:


A monthly and/or one-time charge may apply for requested service or equipment. Please contact the CSU Customer Support Center at x611 for current price information.

Service Requests are not to be used to report problems related to telephones, lines or data equipment. The procedure for reporting such problems is described in the Trouble Reporting section of this guide.

In all cases, whether a charge applies or not, an authorized signature will be required on all requests.

How To Submit A Telephone Service Request Form

1. Requester to complete all applicable sections of the Telecommunications Service Request form.
2. The completed service request should be reviewed and signed by the appropriate Department Head or other person responsible for approving the request.
3. The TSR should be forwarded to the University telecommunications contact (Laurie Aparo) for University review and approval.
4. Upon completion of the service request, the CSU Telecommunications Department will contact the requester to confirm that the work was completed satisfactorily.
Long Distance Calling
 Back to top

Authorization Codes:

Authorization codes are assigned by the Telecommunications Department and are used for added security and accountability for long distance calling. An authorization code can only be used from a telephone restricted to a certain calling area, such as campus or local dialing. The code is entered after the dialed number; the telephone system checks it for validity and places the call. If a telephone is unrestricted, i.e., calls can be placed to any destination from it, the telephone system will not prompt for the entry of an authorization code.

Authorization codes may be requested on the Telecommunications Service Request form.
Reporting Problems
 Back to top

All telephone, voice mail or line problems should be reported to the CSU Customer Support Center. General questions regarding the telecommunications system should also be directed to the Customer Support Center. Data equipment problems should be reported to the campus Computer Center.

The CSU Customer Support Center can be reached by dialing "611" from any campus phone or (860) 723-0123 from off-campus. Normal business hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. During non-business hours and on holidays, calls are directed to a voice mailbox where a brief message may be left for non-critical problems. Callers who leave a voice mail message are called back the next business day.

The trouble will be logged and dispatched for analysis and resolution. All attempts will be made to resolve the trouble at the time it is reported. Turnaround time for resolution is based on the severity of the trouble. Critical troubles are responded to within 4 hours and resolved as soon as possible. Minor troubles are responded to and resolved within 24 hours.

Upon resolution of a trouble, the user will be contacted to confirm that the trouble was resolved satisfactorily.

Stolen Or Vandalized Telephones
 Back to top

A stolen or vandalized telephone is considered "out of service" and should be reported to the CSU Customer Support Center (x611). The Customer Support Center will follow the procedure described in "Trouble Reporting" (section 6) and the telephone will be replaced within 24 hours.

Theft or vandalism of telephones must be reported to the campus police.

A charge will apply for replacement of stolen or vandalized telephones. Currently the charge consists of the cost of the replacement set and $75.00 for labor and material.
Harassing Telephone Calls
 Back to top

Harassing, threatening, or abusive telephone calls should be reported to the campus Police Department. A formal complaint must be filed with the campus police before the CSU Telecommunications Department can become involved.

Once a complaint is filed, the campus police will notify the CSU Telecommunications Department of the situation. Specific action by the CSU Telecommunications Department will be coordinated with the campus police and the recipient of the calls. All caller identification information will be supplied directly to the campus police for appropriate action.



Need Technical Support?


Contact the IT Help Desk

Monday - Thursday 7:30am - 8pm
Friday 7:30am - 5pm
Walk-in Technology Support
Click here for support information.


Report Abuse: To report any kind of improper usage of our systems or any campus technology, please click here to send us a notification.


Like us on

Follow us on


email page print page small type large type large type
powered by finalsite