Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) for Financial Aid Recipients
CCSU is required by federal law to establish, publish and apply reasonable standards for measuring whether a student is maintaining satisfactory academic progress toward a degree objective, and to ensure progress toward the degree for all periods of enrollment, whether or not the student has received financial aid. These standards are applicable to all financial aid recipients at CCSU and affect eligibility for all federal and state aid, including grants, student loans, and work-study.
Degree Objective-Specific Minimum CCSU GPA
- Doctoral, Masters: 3.0
- Credential/Certification: 2.5
Junior/Senior (54+ credits): 2.0
Sophomore (26-53 credits): 2.0
Freshmen (0-25 credits): 2.0
Completion of 67.5% of Attempted Units with Passing Grades
For contuining receipt of financial aid for 2013-2014, all students must have a cumulative passing rate of 67.5% for all attempted courses at CCSU by the end of each semester.
- Passing Grades are A, B, C, D, P
- Non-Passing Grades of F, INC, NC, U, W, and AU will lower a student's completion rate
All attempted credits resulting in either an academic grade or administrative transcript notation will be included in the quantitative calculation. Incomplete courses, course withdrawals, course repeats and non credit remedial courses will be included in this assessment.
Eligibility Limit - Credit Hour Cap
Students must complete their program within 150% of their program's required credit hours. For example, a student in a 120 credit hours program must receive their degree within 180 credits. All graded coursework will be counted, including transfer credit hours, repeats, and withdrawals. Up to 30 remedial credits may be excluded.
Financial Aid Warning
Students will be placed on warning status at the end of the academic semester if any of the following applies:
- CCSU GPA falls below their objective-specific GPA
- Completion rate of attempted units with passing grades falls between 50% and 67.5%.
You will be given the following semester as an opportunity to raise your GPA and establish the necessary passing rate.
WARNING STATUS is LISTED under the Financial Aid tab on Central Pipeline
- GPA - Warning Failed GPA, Credits OK (did not make the necessary GPA requirement of 2.0)
- CREDIT - Warning Failed Credit requirement, GPA OK (did not complete 67.5% of attempted credit hours)
- COMBO - Warning Failed Credit and GPA (did not make the necessary GPA requirement and did not complete 67.5% of attempted credit hours)
Federal Regulations require students who have reached Junior or Senior status to maintain at least a 2.0 CCSU Grade Point Average.
Financial Aid Probation
Students will become disqualified from receiving financial aid if any of the following applies:
- Student is in any Financial Aid warning status for two consecutive academic semesters
- Student completes fewer than 67.5% of their attempted credits
- Student fails to complete their program within 150% of their degree program required units
PROBATION STATUS is LISTED under the Financial Aid tab on Central Pipeline
- NOSAP - FA Probation - Appeal required (student is not making Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress and must appeal to the Registrar's Office).
Financial Aid Appeal
Students who become disqualified from receiving financial aid will be notified on their CCSU e-mail account and will be provided instructions on the financial aid appeal process. Appeals will be evaluated by the Registrar's Office based on the student's extenuating circumstances - SAP Appeal Form.
Students who are disqualified due to low GPA or low credit hour completion will regain financial aid eligibility once they achieve the required GPA or credit completion as long as they have not completed more than 150% of their program requirements.
How to Contact the Financial Aid Office
Any question, please contact us. We're here to help.