Music - Undergraduate Degree Programs

Undergraduate Degree Programs

The Department of Music offers two primary degree programs at Central Connecticut State University (CCSU), which are: the Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Music Education, and the Bachelor of Arts (B.A.). The B.S. in Music Education is designed to provide students with the knowledge and skills in music and music education needed for certification to teach music (PK-12) in public schools in Connecticut. Students pursuing a B.A. in Music degree may choose an emphasis in: Jazz Studies; Performance; Theory/Composition; or a concentration outside of the major.*

Candidates for all programs must apply to both the University and the Department of Music. All applicants must also complete a 2-3 page word-processed essay as part of the application process. A theory and aural skills examination, which will be given on the audition day, are only used to place students in the appropriate theory and aural skills classes. 

Bachelor of Science in Music Education (Certification for K-12 teaching)

The B.S. in Music Education program consists of 66 credits in music that include: (a) 24 credits in core music courses, (b) 14 credits in Music Education courses, (c) 14 credits of private study, and (d) 5 credits in methods courses (brass, woodwinds, percussions, strings, and voice). Candidates for the B.S. in Music Education are also required are to take 23 credits in the Professional Education Program. Students in this program must take the following as part of their General Education requirements: HIST 261 or 262 in Study Area II, PSY 236 in Study Area III, PHYS 113 in Study Area IV, and ENG 110 in Skill Area I.**

The Professional Education Program is the final stage of the undergraduate certification program in music education, culminating with the student teaching semester. It is a program of courses, including student teaching, which will qualify you to be certified to teach music in the public schools. The Department of Teacher Education has materials describing the certification program and the prerequisites for acceptance into the Professional Program. The Professional Program Courses are: EDTE 314, SPED 315, EDF 415, EDSC 425, EDSC 420, EDSC 421, MUS 402. 

The following requirements are to be completed before making application for the Professional Program:

  1. Pass the Connecticut PRAXIS I Exam. (Applications available in Barnard Hall). You may have this requirement waived if your SAT scores totaled 1,100 or above (but you still must apply for the waiver!).
  2. Successfully pass all parts of the Sophomore Review.
  3. Earn a minimum of a 2.7 GPA.
  4. Complete at least 60% of the Piano Proficiency exam. 

NOTE: This major does not require a concentration.

Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Music

The B.A. in Music program consists of 66 credits in music that include: (a) 24 credits in core music courses, (b) 14 credits of private study, and (c) Ensemble (see specializations for number of credits).** The following specializations are offered in the B.A. Program: 

A. Specialization in Performance 

B. Specialization in Theory and Composition

C. Specialization in Jazz Studies

D. Concentration outside the major.  

*Advising and program information provided on this website is for general information and guidance only. It does not constitute a contract, either express or implied, and is subject to revision at the University’s discretion.

**Students should be aware that additional licensure and certification requirements may be imposed by outside licensing or accrediting agencies even after a plan of study has been approved or after a student has entered a professional program. A plan of study may be subject to revision to reflect such additional requirements.

Students enrolled in MUS 177 or 178 must pay an extra non-refundable fee of $200 or $400, respectively, each semester.

NOTE: Students enrolled in the following courses will be assessed an Applied Music Fee-$200.00 for 1/2 hour lesson (MUS 177), and $400.00 for full hour lesson (MUS 178, 278, 378, 478). Contact the Department for additional information.