Moving to Office 365
The email infrastructure for faculty and staff at CCSU runs on Exchange 2007 and the service is hosted on campus. We were due to upgrade to Exchange 2013. Moving to Office 365 hosted email allows us to leverage services included in our agreement with Microsoft. Office 365 is a suite of cloud-based software and services, which includes Exchange 2013 email as well as Skype for Business, One Drive for Business, Office ProPlus, and SharePoint.
Some of the benefits:
- Larger mailbox size: Currently, faculty and staff have 1GB of email storage. With Office 365, storage will increase to 50GB.
- Increased availability: By consolidating and offering services in the cloud, it gives faculty and staff flexibility to access applications and services from any internet-connected device
- Geographic and platform independence: Even if we lose power on campus, email remains accessible from any Internet connected-device.
- Decreased downtime: Cloud facilities tend to be robust and well-maintained.
- Enhanced email features: Microsoft continuously adds new features to enhance the user experience.
Although packaged as a suite of tools and available in the cloud, the applications faculty and staff are accustomed to using will still function and feel familiar. Faculty and staff will still be able to use Outlook on the desktop (on campus or at home) to access the hosted email, as well as all other Microsoft software applications. The suite available in the cloud gives users the opportunity to use the applications on the go and install them on personal computers and mobile devices.
Current Service Compared to Office 365
|Potential Features||Current Service||Office 365|
|Mailbox Size||1 GB||50 GB|
|Patching and Upgrades||Every month||Performed by Microsoft|
|Hardware||High performance hardware is required||No on-premise hardware required|
|Software Upgrade||Upgrade as new service packs or roll-ups are introduced||No on-premise upgrades required|
Hosted Email Pilot
We are ready to pilot the Office 365 hosted email with faculty and staff accounts. If you would like to be considered for the pilot, please click here to complete a short survey by Tuesday, December 1, 2015.