MA in History
The MA in History at CCSU provides students with a solid, engaging, and rigorous experience in professional historical thinking and writing. Our students have gone on to pursue doctoral programs in history, law degrees, teaching careers, and careers with non-profit and for-profit businesses. We also serve teachers seeking an engaging field of study to expand their knowledge and meet State of Connecticut continuing education requirements. Whatever our students’ goals, we tailor a graduate experience that is demanding and worthwhile.
Students can choose a specific historical area of interest from a broad array of specialties and work with a highly regarded scholar in that field. We ask students to think about this early on so that we can pair them with the right faculty member. This helps to individualize a students’ studies. Please see the faculty profiles to get a clear understanding of our wide-ranging expertise. You are welcome to contact any of our faculty to ask about working with them on your MA program.
MA in History Requirements
The MA in History requires 30 credits hours (8 courses, followed by HIST 599, 6 credit hours of thesis work).
Students entering the program will work with their assigned advisor to create a planned program of study tailored to their interests and goals.
Program requirements include:
- HIST 501: The Professional Historian (3 credits)
- HIST 502: Historiography (3 credits)
- 500-level courses in History (12 credits – 4 courses)
- Electives in history or related fields (6 credits – 2 courses)
- HIST 599: Thesis (6 credits)
- No more than 6 credits may be taken in History 495 (special topics courses approved by the Graduate School) Admissions Requirements Apply to the MA in History Program
For more information contact:
Dr. Louise Williams
Dr. Matthew Warshauer