GSA Conference/Research Scholarship
One of the Graduate Student Association’s (GSA) missions is to provide funding for graduate student societies, research projects, and educational conferences. As a student-run and student-elected organization the GSA creates events that enhance the graduate student experience at Central. It is our duty to support the academic excellence of Blue Devils graduate students, which we do (in part) through the conference and research scholarship competitions. That is to say, we provide funding to enable graduate students to attend conferences and/or conduct research that enables students to create long-lasting networks and garner recognition that will benefit them after graduate school. We encourage our graduate students to enrich their knowledge by attending professional conferences relevant to their field of study. When seeking funding for research, remember it can be a boost to your next job opportunity. The GSA is a governing body that is here to support graduate students in their professional development by providing resources that will empower them as community. When attending conferences or submitting your research for review keep in mind that you are representing Central.
Remember you belong to a community of scholars that fosters a spirit of intellectual curiosity and lives according to personal and professional values. Go out there, take the initiative to shape your future and strive for excellence.
Applicant’s Eligibility & Requirements:
- You must be a matriculated graduate student in good standing (GPA 3.0) and in a graduate program
- You are allowed one scholarship per academic year either to attend a conference or conduct research
- You may apply regardless of whether or not you have previously received funding, however preference will be given to students who have not previously received an award (the purpose of this is to give each graduate student an opportunity to receive funding at least one time in their graduate career)
- You must be able to present documentation of expenses (these expenses may be actual or estimated) at any time, failure to comply will result in your application being denied
- This scholarship is for Conference or Research only
Applying for a Conference/Research Scholarship
- Please complete the form in its entirety and attach additional required documents (i.e. travel, lodging, registration etc.; not presenting these documents is not an option and may lead to automatic removal of your application)
- Considerations will be limited to applications for conferences at future dates unless the conference date was between July 1 and the fall application deadline.
- Be sure to include contact information, including an email address or phone number for any questions that may arise during the review of your application
- If you have any additional documentation (such as awards, recommendations, published work/achievement, news article, project, etc. ) make sure to add it to your application. Don’t be shy - show it off!
- Once approved the GSA will cover the expenses listed on the application :
- Hotel, transportation, and registration
- Students may apply as many times as they want. A student who received funds in the past can still apply but first-time applicants who have not been funded will be preferred.
- You must submit the required documentations; applications submitted without documentations will be considered incomplete and will automatically not be approved for the scholarship.
The GSA reviews scholarship applications during the fall and spring semesters. These deadlines correspond with the university’s scholarship distribution process. Any application submitted after the deadline will not be accepted, and documentations must be submitted by the due date below.
o Fall: October 11th , 2019
o Spring: February 21st, 2020 (open Jan. 24th, 2020)
**We accept ONLY online applications through JotForm **
SCHOLARSHIP APPROVAL PROCESS
- Upon review of your application by the GSA Board, your application will be reviewed by the CCSU Scholarship Committee. The President or Vice President of Finance will contact you via email to discuss the approval status of your application within a week of the CCSU Scholarship Committee meeting.
- Please allow at least 45 days from submission of the application for approval.
- Please see the table below upon which you will be graded for the content of your application and how you present yourself as a graduate student in the letter.
- NOTE: If you are a student who utilizes direct deposit for your return of excess funds via the Bursar’s Office, your funds will be posted directly to your bank account. Upon approval a check will be made out to you.
- Payment disbursement date TBD - around mid March 2020
- Upon completion of your conference/research – please tell us all about it! The GSA would like to know what you gained from this experience and if our contribution to you was beneficial. This post research/conference letter to the GSA will help the GSA gain feedback.
*If you have any questions or concerns, please consult the GSA constitution
http://www.ccsu.edu/gsa/constitution.html or contact an executive board member.