Fiscal Affairs - UPass FAQ

Fiscal Affairs & Business Services


Transportation UPass Program


  1. Who is eligible?
    The UPass is available to both full and part time credit undergraduate students at the colleges and universities taking at least one class per semester on campus.
  2. For how long is the pass effective?
    The fall semester UPass covers August 1-December 31. The spring semester UPass covers January 1-July 30.
  3. What is the cost?
    Each student is charged $40 per semester for the pass. The DOT has set this special rate for our students only. The transportation fee is considered an institutional charge so financial aid may be applied.
  4. How do students get the UPASS?
    There will be enough passes for all students but students are not obligated to pick up or use the card. Students can go to the Card Office located in Willard-DiLoreto Hall, RM D-125 to pick up a UPASS. It is anticipated that the passes will be available for the fall by August 1st and for the spring by January 1st however if you plan on getting a pass before the start of the semester it is recommend that you call the Card Office first to make sure they are available. Bring your Blue Chip card with you.
  5. What is required for students to use pass and on what types of transportation can it be used?
    Students must have a valid student ID to show along with their pass when using the transportation systems. Students can use the unlimited semester pass to travel within the state on rail or bus including CTtransit, CTfastrak and certain Amtrak Lines. See for a complete list. 
  6. What happens if student loses pass?
    A student may only obtain one replacement pass per semester. The fee for the replacement is $10.00. After that, they must wait for the next semester to get a new pass. 
  7. What happens if student attends multiple CSCU schools?
    The student should only be charged once for the pass. Students will have to request a waiver after the payment of the first fee.
  8. Does U-Pass CT work on Amtrak?
    U-Pass CT is not valid on any shoreline Amtrack trains. It is valid on Amtrack trains on CTrail Hartford Line between New Haven and Springfield, MA except the Vermonter (trains 54,55,56 and 57). 
  9. Does U-Pass CT work on Amtrak?
  • U-Pass CT valid for use by students enrolled at participating colleges & universities.
       Eligibility to obtain a U-Pass is determined by the college or university
  • U-Pass CT is valid for unlimited rides on local & express buses in Connecticut,
       CTfastrak, CTrail Shore Line East, CTrail Hartford Line, in-state New Haven Line services, and